testmachine55

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hello, I hope this is the place to post this. if not please direct me to where i am supposed to post this.

Wifes base PC Specs

Asus P4S800D-X sis chipset
P4 3.0
1.5 gigs ram PC 3200
Nvidia 6600 Gt (agp)

My base Pc Specs

some generic mobo... intel chipset
celeron 2.2
1 gig ram
and geforce fx 5200 (pci)

here lies the problem (and this is just an example)

My wife recently wanted to play dungeon siege 2. so after she installs and tries to play the game the intro itself is all choppy and the sound stutters. she says it lags a bit during game play as well. then i tried the game on my crappy PC and it plays almost flawless. we both had the resolution set to 800x600x16.

this isnt the only problem, when she wants to play her cheesy reflexive games it lags as well and stutters. i cant understand WHY this is happening when her "hardware" surpasses mine.

can any one shed some light on this prob. im completely at a loss here.

I would first try updating the microsoft directx driver, if needed. Then go to nvidia's website and download the latest driver for your 6600; save to documents file. Then uninstall your current driver, reboot, and install the latest driver. This might help. If it doesn't, then all I can recommend is a different motherboard. You have a decent agp video card; newer ones are too costly to upgrade. Computer geeks carries a few socket 478 boards; order with care and be sure the chipset will work with your cpu.

testmachine55

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

as for the dirext X its the 9.0c that is installed, as for the nvidia drivers, they are fully updated. BUT i think i will try like u said to UNINSTALL the drivers, reboot and reinstall the drivers. so you think its the mobo that is flaking? we even got it a new 500w power supply!

testmachine55

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

hehe i was thinking of that too but $$ is an issue.

but y do rinky dinky reflexive games lag on a p4 3.0 !

Well, for one thing she has a SIS chipset. Your PCs are both old enough that degradation of components due to static, power problems, heat, and other environmental factors has almost certainly taken place.
With even limited funds, I'd be happy to suggest alternatives that, while not leading edge, will absolutely blow those old systems away. You could even buy bottom-dollar prebuilt boxes and add $30 video cards to them to get an astounding improvement.

I would sit tight and wait for a killer deal. I check fatwallet and slickdeals daily. About 10 days ago, slickdeals listed the amd 5600 retail box with ecs 780g chipset board for $69.99 at frys.com. That was special, as fry's rarely lists combo deals like Fry's electronics stores.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Have you checked for spyware, viruses and or other running processes that may be interferring? Updating drivers is a good idea too. It *could* be a failing PC part or overheating as well.

I'd check those as my guess is you don't really feel like buying new boxes if you can avoid it.

Yes; Dell, WalMart, Best Buy, etc. They'll all have integrated video, which sucks, but then you'd just order something like a 2400XT to put in it.
You'll have new systems, including O/S, with warranties. You'll need to spend a little time cleaning the bloatware off them, but you'll end up with a lot better than you have now.

As an example, assuming only your monitors and speakers would be re-used, I came up with a BUDGET wishlist for you at https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=7862348.
It comes to $433.41 before one $10 rebate, and includes everything, including keyboard, rodent, and O/S. Unless you live in Tennessee like I do, or other state where Newegg has a "physical presence," you'll pay no government extortion on it, but you will pay shipping. Newegg is a fast shipper and has excellent customer service.
I don't think there's much you can tweak off this, unless you want to re-use some things. You probably could do as well or better on price by buying the complete system and then ordering just the video card I've chosen (or even a better one), but I'm confident these parts would provide a nice upgrade for you and/or your wife.

testmachine55

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
well problem fixed i guess...

i took your advice and get her a new PC...sorta. I bit my lip and went out and spent only $235. i used to work at this wholesale computer company a few years back and i still had some ties with the people there. i left since im more of a tech guy than a sales man, but they are still cool with me when i pass by.

I got her:
AMD athlon X2 5000
MSI K9N6PGM2 mobo
2 gig DDR2
GeForce 7 series
and a sata DVD burner

i know this stuff my not be cutting edge, but heck,... shes happier than a pig in S**T

now check this crap out. her old PC, the p4 3.0.. that got pass down to our son. when i took out every thing from her case i cleaned it ( so much dust got in that case ) the cpu heat sink was kinda caked on with dust. it wasn't too bad tho. anyways to make a long story short i reinstalled windows on the p4 3.0. with all needed drivers. i went to run dungeon siege to check out the intro and guess what. it played it awsome with no stuttering or lag. now im REALLY confused. was it software/malware messing up the computer, or maybe it was her anti virus/anti malware programs? or was it the dust not letting the cpu breath right. or was it that the computer didnt like my wife =) hahaha..

im leaning towards software/malware ( even tho i checked it and shes no idiot when it comes to viruses and malware ) maybe something got past us.

well anyways thanks for the help and id like to say that Toms Hardware rocks. i heard about him when i went to LAN parties in Kentucky..

:hello:

testmachine55

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
yeah i got an account with newegg... but i bought the stuff from where i used to work. i was kinda impatient. if i was patient i would have bought it from newegg. Plus her nagging me about her pc issues kinda help me decide to buy it from the local place. heheh

Well, if it was hot it might have been throttling. This may be one of those cases of "all's well that ends well." I guess you're going to clean out your own PC too now...
Since you got something that meets your needs (including having a happy wife), I'd say you did well.