P6N-SLI (650i) problems

evancolson

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Firstly, I must admit that I'm relatively new to computer hardware installation and although I read a lot of articles here, my practical skills are sadly lacking. I purchased a computer last year, which was assembled from parts that I chose myself. Recently, I have not been able to turn the computer on. Suspecting the power supply, I went out and bought a brand new one of the same make and model and installed it. The computer still refuses to power on, but the amber light on the motherboard is lit, which I understand indicates that the motherboard is receiving a charge from the PSU. Does this mean that it is my motherboard that is at fault?

My Specs:

MSI P6N-SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo e4400 @2.00 GHz
Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
Coolermaster eXtreme Power 600w PSU

tommyfw

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Did you ensure the aux CPU Power connector was plugged in? Try unplugging all peripheral stuff like HDs and DVD drives and just see if the board posts. If you have the P6N did you connect the MSI daughter card with the 4 lights on the back (sorry, forget what it is called)?

If so, are they showing anything other than 4 green lights (proper working order)?

Also, did any of the motherboard connectors for front panel, led, power and such happen to come off?

If you aren't posting the reality is the mobo is probably burnt out.