3GB of ram in cpu-z but not XP

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I added another 2 sticks of ram to my system 2x512mb to an existing 2x1gb, and I got it to work ok and all of that, but xp still only reads 2gb and not 3gb. cpu-z sees all 3gb of the ram, but other programs like directx and futuremark do not seem to.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
It would help to provide some additional details about your system hardware. Check in BIOS for an option like memory remapping or memory hole and set to DISABLED.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am not sure why my sig did not kick in... but it is my current computer this time, listed below, not some random one I am working on... :(

I have been all over the Internet with this problem.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
The two yellow ram slots do not seem to be working. The orange ones do. I switched my ram around and now my system only sees 1GB of ram from the two 512mb sticks.

But I cannot run it at 1T like I can with just two sticks. So using 4 causes some issue. It boots up and runs fine at 2T. CPU-z sees all 4, but in the bios and in windoes, it only reads from the orange ram slots.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Did you check in BIOS for any setting that is along the lines of 'memory remapping', 'memory hoisting', or 'memory hole' (the term varies from one BIOS to the next) and confirm it is DISABLED? It would usually be under advanced memory or chipset configuration/options.

If you are trying to run 1T CMD with four double-rank (and mis-matched) DIMMs, you are pushing the limit of the AMD64 memory controller. According to AMD specification, S939 AMD64 Rev. E (or later) memory controller supports a maximum of four DIMM ranks @ DDR400 with 1T CMD or six DIMM ranks with 2T CMD. Four double-rank modules = eight DIMM ranks.

These aren't the hard limits but anything that exceeds this is essentially overclocking. And as with any overclocking, results can and do vary.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Right after I installed the second matched pair of ram 2x512mb it booted but stopped before loading into Windows. The first setting I changed was making it 2T. It then loaded windows just fine. Memory hole is disabled. I have become fairly sure this is a DFI specific problem. There are two orange ram slots that work, but the two yellow slots do not work. I have some ideas pulled from DFIClub forum to try at home, but it seems this is a common problem.

All 4 sticks are Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR ram, both with silver ramsinks. Both pairs are kits, 2x1gb and 2x512mb.

josmau1226

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I've been upgrading, building my own PC, and testing different old version PC's, and based on my experience I have found out that, by design, CPU's have limited RAM they can handle. The additional memory can be recognized as extended memory, but for some reason is not part of the CPU's workig memory. Probably it might need additional software (driver) to use it, which means a challenge for computer systems programmers. Trying software as DETECTIVE DRIVER, GENIOUS DRIVER, or so, is a good test to do.

Basically, before adding memory, we can go to internet, write the CPU's brand name, then we know the maximum RAM it can handle. Also cross information with the motherboard in use, which also relates to the CPU in use, and the maximum RAM the motherboard is designed.

Support websites to build PC's recommend to start Selecting the CPU that meet your needs, and automatically you can select the motherboard and RAM you need. The motherboard can vary from a basic to and advanced, depending on your needs.

Find the links related to HOW TO BUILD MY OWN PC, then you're going to get first class in formation.

If you don't need the extra memory, you can easily sell it through websites as ebay.com, PC shops, or keep it as spare parts. Remove it from your computer to avoid aging.

I hope my friend this could help you, and keep your practice upgrading computers. It's really fun.

Have a nice day.