Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Black edition fans!?

admanthemadman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Hi i was just thinking about ordering a thermalright ultra 120 extreme black edition for my Q6600, I have two questions.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14650AC9062&vpn=TRUEBLACK120&manufacture=THERMALRIGHT

1. Would that be a good fan to cool that processor? I was also looking at the tuniq tower 120 but in some reviews they said that the Thermalright Ultra 120 can out perform it.

2. What fans should I order to go with it?
I know that everyone says that the S-Flex Scythe is the best fan for performance - noise ratio.
But Since I can have two fans on the Cpu cooler i was just curious if their was a fan I could get that might glow or make it look nice in my case.
Also what Rpm of the scythe should I order?
Theirs 800 all the way to 2000rpm models.

Thanks for the help!
Dylan. :)

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
wrong place and everything but I will still be nice and answer.

Scythe is what I have been looking at and you seem to be happy with it, but be warned...

Higher RPM's usually mean more noise when the CPU gets hot.
Lower RPM's are usually quieter but depending on your CPU might not give it sufficient cooling which is very dangerous (as you probably know)

So really I would sacrafice noise for performance and the Scythe your looking at has a sort of balance in-between and I'm just presuming that your moboard and the Scythe support SMART fan control... which will give your CPU sufficient cooling...
(PS: you can always buy a bay fan controller to control your 3 PIN fans...)