Intel E2200, XFX 8600 GT and Temperature Concerns

devlynsyde77

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I recently bought a PC from a local system builder with some decent but economical hardware. I plan to upgrade the system as a whole slowly over time but I needed something solid enough to game with without draining the bank account. Most of it seems stable enough but certain games give me issues (artifacts/crash/freeze) after extended play at high settings despite the ability to obtain decent if not excellent frame rates. I am concerned that heat may be an issue but I can't seem to find reliable information on what my temperatures should be, so it's vary hard for me to tell. I'm currently using the Nvidia System Monitor and it seems accurate enough when compared to the temp shown in the bios. My CPU is running at around 40 °C idle and 55 °C when busy and my GPU is at about 50 °C idle and jumps to 70 °C when gaming. The rear case fan is only a 90mm and of questionable quality, the CPU cooling unit is the stock Intel one sent with the chip and I have another good quality 80mm that I recently installed myself in the front of the case (brought me down a few degrees). Just wondering what the CPU and GPU temps should be without overclocking. Thanks in advance.

Card - XFX GeForece 8600 GT
Proc - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2200

AWS 32°

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Applying AS5 doesnt always justify voiding the warranty and even possibly damaging the card. Increasing the fan speed or improving the airflow in the case would be the best options.

devlynsyde77

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Thanks for the quick responses! I guess my suspicions were correct. I'm a bit on the high side temp wise. I'm going to try replacing the 90mm rear case fan to cool the case overall. I'm also going to throw in a pci slot fan for the graphics card. I'll come back and post the results when I have them. Thanks again. Below I've listed what I'll be adding to the case if anyone is interested.

Thermaltake A2017 90mm Case Fan

Rosewill 90mm PCI Slot Case Fan

AWS 32°

devlynsyde77

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Well I got the fans and installed them. I must say that that 90mm fan cranks. Luckily it has a speed control knob on it because at full speed it sounds like a plane taking off. It moves a lot of air and the blue LEDs are bright. I would recommend it to anyone in need of a good 90mm fan. The slot fan seems to move a lot of air too but isn't cooling the vid card very much. I've got the CPU running between 35-45C now but the card is almost the same as it was. Around 48C idle and 68C at 80% GPU usage.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Your video card is not cooling, because you're just blowing air to it, the heat sink is still under the plastic shroud, which will block air you are blowing at it.

You're most likely will have to up your fan with Riva Tuner or EVGA Precision.

Or maybe even invest in this Zeroterm cooler. $34.99 but with $30 mir.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887006

Personally, I would just crank up the fan to 100%, sure it could get loud, but as long as it is stable.

Save up for a nice HD4850 or NV9800GTX+

devlynsyde77

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Thanks for the tips. Technically the slot card it's pulling air from (exhaust) the card not blowing air at it but your right either way. The shroud is probably the culprit. As for the card upgrade I plan to put in something better within the year but have to do with what I got for now. Being a Landscaper this is a pretty poor time of year for buying new parts. ;) Do you think I'd be crazy to try and take the plastic off? What are my chances of ruining the card in the process? Have you ever attempted something similar? Whats the benefit of having the shroud where it is? Dust, static, or just looks? Thanks again!

AWS 32°

Jalida

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
If it were me I wouldn't remove the plastic shroud. I've heard of people doing it on the 8800 GT and GTS and actually having the temps go higher than with it on.

My E2200 runs consistantly at 44 to 49c which is the way it came from the factory with the hsf locked down tight but in no way would I remove it to apply as5 while under the warranty period. I'd rather the CPU burns up and send it back in for replacement of the computer instead of being stuck with the computer when they found out that I had pulled the fan and heat sink off of it.

Just my 2 cents,.