Phenom II 940 temp sensor

thelastpriest

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Ok feeling very noobish asking this question but im trying to find an answer, we all know that temp sensing on processors seems to be more art then science as any program you ask is going to give you a different answer, but I have an issue where I cant decide which one is close to correct. My Bios and gigabyte's EasyTune read my idle temps between 28°c-32°c which isnt too bad, coretemp however reads my idle temp between 39°c and 42°c and AMD overdrive reads my idle temp between 41°c and 43°c. If I go off of the bios/easytune then I am fine, running awesome, however if either of the other two are correct then there are definitely some issues.

Kinda scary as I have been using easytune and gotten the processor up to 53°c-55°c in easytune on running prime95 on hot days here in Northern California (My processor happened to get delivered during abnormally hot week) Anyone have any input into the matter? Also I know on older processors you should disable cool and quiet if overclocking but I remember hearing at one point that you were supposed to be able to run cool and quiet while overclocking, now I cant find any reference to it, does anyone know the answer?

baverdi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
There could be an internal temp and a die temp. http://www.almico.com/sffaq.php This a good temp prog and shows cpu temp and core temp. Also HWMonitro shows CPUTIN temp and all 4 core temps. My guess is that these progs you are using are reading one or the other or averaging them. Could someone clarify the CPU temp or CPUTIN temp? I hear it is a socket temp as well, or a TJ temp or a Tcase temp. I also hear there are some times sensors under the chip or socket. I have been searching high and low for this answer good luck

The core temps have been wacky for a while, even on my ol Brisbane. This issue was only recently fixed in the 965. Anyway, go by the CPU temp not the individual core temps. The individual core temps are useful for seeing if your thermal paste was not applied evenly, but that's about it.