Sign in with
Your question

Crysis Warhead tested on my laptop. Thank You Crytek!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2008 9:14:14 PM

The game was run med, @ 1440x900 (DX 10). Usually in Crysis ran avg 30 fps with a drop to 14-18 frames (At one point I lower the resolution to 1024x900 and start lowering quality to maintain 20 fps during intensive action in Crysis 1), now I'm getting almost 40 with a minimum drop of 28 during intesive battles.

I'm trully amazed by this game, and I'm glad I bought it. I will install it today when I get home and show benchmarks when running quad sli 9800 GX2s. (I'll also test tri-sli 280 GTXs if I get the time and also the 4870 X2):) 

:) 
September 17, 2008 9:28:13 PM

I have looked everywhere and cannot find a straight answer about how many installations will be allowed with Crysis Warhead. EA and Crytek are being extremely tight lipped about the matter, and are not commenting one way or another probably to avoid the bad publicity that hit spore. If you’ve installed it on your laptop and desktop you’ve already used 2 installations. Would you be willing to bite the bullet and uninstall and re-install it a couple of times to see how many installations they will allow? I'm just kidding of course, but I will not be purchasing this game until I know how many installations the DRM will allow.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2008 9:36:13 PM

nice

I actually just finished the original crysis on delta difficulty and on all high with a 4870, maintaining an average of about 35 fps, with dips into the upper teens on air craft carrier, and acension

I'm just hoping in crysis warhead, i'll either get constantly above 30 fps, or i'm able to tweak in game high settings to VH, and get a constant 30 fps with drops into the 20s

and it sounds like I may get the first, but not the tweaks :( 

either way it will be awsome
September 17, 2008 9:44:19 PM

well you could buy it on steam and not have th problem.

I am pretty sure that if you call the company and explain the situation they can help you out, they can't just tell us not to install it somewhere else as long as its from our house for 30$ ....
September 17, 2008 9:45:58 PM

Quote:
nice

I actually just finished the original crysis on delta difficulty and on all high with a 4870, maintaining an average of about 35 fps, with dips into the upper teens on air craft carrier, and acension

I'm just hoping in crysis warhead, i'll either get constantly above 30 fps, or i'm able to tweak in game high settings to VH, and get a constant 30 fps with drops into the 20s

and it sounds like I may get the first, but not the tweaks :( 

either way it will be awsome

trust me it will, if it managed to do 30+ on Crysis 1 this one runs like a dream!!
September 17, 2008 10:07:30 PM

does Warhead patch crysis 1 to give the same performance?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2008 10:19:20 PM

no warhead is a stand a lone expansion

after they announced warhead they ditched Crysis, as in no longer patching it =(

anyways a patch that would fix performance for crysis would be gi-normous as it would have to stream line lots and lots of code

September 17, 2008 10:24:09 PM

Guerreiro29 said:
I have looked everywhere and cannot find a straight answer about how many installations will be allowed with Crysis Warhead. EA and Crytek are being extremely tight lipped about the matter, and are not commenting one way or another probably to avoid the bad publicity that hit spore. If you’ve installed it on your laptop and desktop you’ve already used 2 installations. Would you be willing to bite the bullet and uninstall and re-install it a couple of times to see how many installations they will allow? I'm just kidding of course, but I will not be purchasing this game until I know how many installations the DRM will allow.

Just pirate it when you overran the 3 activations. Easy. :na: 
a c 106 U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 10:32:20 PM

I still haven't had time to beat the original Crysis. I play it on medium-high at 1024x768, which is o.k since I still have a good CRT monitor. I've decided I'm not going to buy anymore of this limited installation crap unless the game is under $20, so I'll probably have to wait a while to guy Warhead :sweat:  . Yeah I'm not gonna get spore either. Anyway by that time I should have a rig to play it on Very High :D  .
September 17, 2008 10:43:31 PM

Damnit, I forgot it was EA. I figured since crysis didn't have SecuROM warhead wouldn't. I absolutely refuse to knowingly install a program that can't be uninstalled. That's what I'd call a rootkit... and the fact that they're paying sony money for nothing highlights how stupid the people making these decisions are. All this crap has done is stuff sony's pockets and INCREASE the amount of pirating. I can't believe it's so bad now that you either have to pirate a game or get stuck with some gimped version. I also can't do steam as every game I've ever downloaded from it doesn't work with mods.
September 17, 2008 10:51:40 PM

LAN_deRf_HA said:
Damnit, I forgot it was EA. I figured since crysis didn't have SecuROM warhead wouldn't. I absolutely refuse to knowingly install a program that can't be uninstalled. That's what I'd call a rootkit... and the fact that they're paying sony money for nothing highlights how stupid the people making these decisions are. All this crap has done is stuff sony's pockets and INCREASE the amount of pirating. I can't believe it's so bad now that you either have to pirate a game or get stuck with some gimped version. I also can't do steam as every game I've ever downloaded from it doesn't work with mods.

Then use the cracked pirated version without SecuRom and buy a boxset to set atop a shelf if it eases your moral. :p 
September 17, 2008 11:26:01 PM

dagger said:
Then use the cracked pirated version without SecuRom and buy a boxset to set atop a shelf if it eases your moral. :p 

I was honestly going to do that until I found it could be gotten on steam :bounce: 

I've never used mods with a non valve game on steam, so if those don't work like deRf says, then I may end up getting it anyway. Then I'll have the steam versions for multiplayer and legitimacy, and a 'warm' version to toy with =)
September 18, 2008 12:42:18 AM

L1qu1d said:
trust me it will, if it managed to do 30+ on Crysis 1 this one runs like a dream!!

Sorry liquid but from what I have seen on the techpowerup forums, you are full of ****. The consensus over there is that it runs the same...and these people actually have it installed on their system unlike you. But, one rumor is that it has better game play than the first.
September 18, 2008 1:10:30 AM

Looks like the only thing full of **** is your attitude. I got it 2day.

Thank You very much for speaking on behave of nothing considering you never played it.

The game runs atleast 28 fps on my 9700M GTS with out having to lower the resolution and in full DX 10. (Med graphics)

compared to 18-25 on the same laptop, in dx 9 low shaders:)  ofc the intense parts for both games.

September 18, 2008 1:12:41 AM

Oh yeah I also have the EB games receipt, incase you want to keep being a prick.

IGN claims it running perfect on a mainstream system, bit-tech claims the same thing. I for one claimed that it runs on a almost 9600 GT equivalent card (not as strong) very well.

So please don't jump to conclusion so fast seriously

699$ to have Crysis fun
September 18, 2008 1:20:40 AM

Hope crossfire support in it is better. Well, I'm gonna find out once it's done downloading.
September 18, 2008 1:22:34 AM

I dunno about that, I'm going to benchmark the 4870 X2 and the 280s as soon as I'm done my CS assignments.

I'm hoping I get scaling results and I'll have charts up as soon as I can.
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2008 1:27:58 AM

wonder how the 4870x2 will perform. keep us posted.
i cant wait to pick this game up this wk wonder how my 2 gtx260 will perform.
=]
September 18, 2008 1:31:30 AM

they should do amazing, I was actually suprised that the game ran this nicely:) 

I got misguided at first the CGI looked like in game graphics for a couple of clips and the frame rates were 800 LMAO I was like dang!

but yeah the frames dropped to around 26 at the begining for 2 seconds but then went up to almost 40:) 

I'm not saying anymore though, you'll see for yourself.
September 18, 2008 1:39:10 AM

The game runs pretty decently on my rig (stock 4870, E4300 @ 3Ghz, XP 32-bit, 4Gb RAM).

I have everything is set to "gamer" except for shaders which are at "enthusiast" no AA or AF 1680*1050 and according to fraps i'm getting between 30-45 fps at all times depending on how much action i've got onscreen.

The game seems good so far, but i did notice some ugly textures and pop in, hopefully some patches will fix those issues though.
September 18, 2008 1:56:15 AM

hey liq
September 18, 2008 1:57:15 AM

sorry hit key accidentally...
hey liquid, which video card are u running that with?
is it just getting from 25 - 40 fps with 4870x2?
September 18, 2008 1:57:39 AM

hey whats up?

EDIT: 9700M GTS lol it falls between the 9500 GT and the 9600 GT:p 
September 18, 2008 2:07:12 AM

oh ok gotcha!
wow so they really improved the engine?

also another question ill have my q6600 at 3.2 will that bottleneck my 4870x2?
whats the maximum OC u can get with that cpu under air, a zalman 9700 and an x48 mobo?
September 18, 2008 2:10:43 AM

This is all good news. Thank you for the heads up Liquid.

Maybe, and just maybe Crytek will announce patch support after renouncing it for the original Crysis because Warhead is now out and they likely have more time on their hands. I'm looking forward to getting Warhead. I love the pricing for Crysis titles, $40 bucks for original, $30 for stand alone expansion. Great.
September 18, 2008 2:32:48 AM

well i have a 24" and a 19" so I hope my x2 6000+ with my 4850 will do the job (if I can't play it all on the 24", then I'll just switch to my 19")...ive heard that the warhead rig actually can play it decently well (but I dont know what resolution they were playing on)
September 18, 2008 2:37:13 AM

1680x1050 or something like that:) 
September 18, 2008 2:46:25 AM

dagger said:
Just pirate it when you overran the 3 activations. Easy. :na: 

That wont help you play muliplayer
September 18, 2008 2:49:30 AM

L1qu1d said:
well you could buy it on steam and not have th problem.

I am pretty sure that if you call the company and explain the situation they can help you out, they can't just tell us not to install it somewhere else as long as its from our house for 30$ ....

Bioshock came with SecuROM and limited activation when sold on Steam so it will most likely be the same for Crysis Warhead. Im just waiting for confirmation so I can buy or not buy it already.
September 18, 2008 3:13:13 AM

piece of Cr@p lol
September 18, 2008 3:22:32 AM

Well I got Warhead today and I hate it. I thought that the engine would run better then the 1st one. Nope. At 1024x768 all setting to min. I still get under 30 FPS. ON LOW. If i try to shot anything the fps down bad and i miss the person thats standing still. I have a 4870 and 4gb of ram but I think that my CPU is the thing thats killing the game for me. Its a 2.3 9600be phenom. I want a faster one but 2.6 is the fastest stock phenom right now. So i guess i cant play it till later.
September 18, 2008 3:39:56 AM

for a 4870 on low? and still under 30 frames? Wow something is definatly wrong, my crappy 9700M gts does 40 in Medium @ 1440x900 :S
September 18, 2008 3:47:27 AM

Geckoar, something's gotta be wrong with your computer. I can run Crysis in the 30's with everything med-high on my 5000+ and an 8800GT, 4GB RAM, and Vista x64 at 1024x768.
September 18, 2008 3:55:20 AM

Resolution makes a very large dif. in crysis.

*edit, didn't see how low his res was... yeah, big problem there. If you're playing it windowed that might explain it.
September 18, 2008 4:00:38 AM

indeed^ Crysis stumbles from 70s to 30s (Crysis 1 atleast) when in Window mode. I don't kno why though
September 18, 2008 4:30:13 AM

It runs the same at 1920x 1200 and 1024x768. At mainstream levels the frames are low but the game looks good. but the 1024x768 looks real bad. my 4870 is fine and so is the ram. Im running it all on a MSI 790FX mobo with a 9600be phenom. I can play Mass Effect at 1920x1200 Max settings with 4x AA and I get over 30 FPS all the time so thats good.

Would I be better off getting say.. this CPU( I have a cooler master hyper tx2 HSF)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One question... I know that all the new EA games have the 3 limit install thing (Or 5) but If i change the CPU will the game not work till I reinstall(and i will lose 1 more install) or is it just when you change out the mobo and hard drive?

So would I see a big boost by getting the faster phenom (For only 159.00) or just wait till the 45nm phenoms.

I would like to play Warhead but I just cant right now. I really hate it.
September 18, 2008 4:31:12 AM

Sorry one more thing I am playing it fullscreen not windowed
September 18, 2008 12:39:53 PM

Well I ran a test for Crysis warhead on Quad sli. Single GPU performs exactly the same as Quad sli. So I'm guessing we will have to wait for a Profile update from Nvidia to play the game at higher frame rates.

But I'm running enthusiast @ 1680x1050 with 30-56 fps on a single GPU:) 
September 18, 2008 2:24:47 PM

sweet! tried it on the gtx 280 yet?
September 18, 2008 2:27:18 PM

no I don't really have time to swap the cards. I'm going to see if I have time this sunday though, because if single GPU (mine clocked to match a 9800 GTX) could run that well, a single GPU 260 GTX would probably run pretty well, since it coult probably almost double the 9800 GTX (In a way double that is)
September 18, 2008 2:51:14 PM

L1qu1d, do u have any screen shots? Or does it look the same from the previous crysis.
September 18, 2008 2:54:33 PM

Everytime I try to take a screenshot, it just shows a black screen, I already wanted to post the pics:p 

It does have some more lusture over the first, most noticeably the water has more of a realistic ripple effect in the rivers, like it doesn't look like Ocean water, it actually looks like river water.

Explosions seem to have more of a punch for effects. Also night time and day time seem to have a realistic flow, i remember that night in Crysis 1 was very bland and felt fake lol. While in this one it basically does what the Natural mod does to the first 1
September 18, 2008 4:27:10 PM

Hi there, I have a stupid question - how can I tell if I'm running Crysis in Window Mode? I got Crysis Warhead yesterday and I couldn't get good framerate with my dual 9800 GX2 setup in quad-SLI setup... I think it may be my processor (I have a Quad 6700 - which is 2.66 GHz)... I had to lower resolution to 1360x768 and move specs down to Gamer level to get a decent framerate.... From what I've read in reviews, I thought I should have been able to play on Enthusiast Specs with my PC...
September 18, 2008 4:42:17 PM

there will be a post on the crymod website regarding DRM etc i beleive.

As for graphic settinmgs, its supposed to run very high on a mid resolution with an 8800GTS?
September 18, 2008 4:49:08 PM

L1qu1d, I was quite polar with my response, I apologize for that but saying Warhead runs like a dream is like Bush saying the current financial cluster F*** is just an adjustment. :heink:  Calling a 3FPS jump an improvement is splitting hairs and inaccurate since you don't have two equally graphic intensive spots to compare the FPS.

Warhead was supposed to take on a lot of ideas and optimizations from the Crymod community. If that is indeed what they have done and all that they have done, then there won't be a massive overhaul to the engine and there won't be a massive FPS improvement. Using the eensy teensy mod optimizations from crymod, Warhead is most likely be just like the ultra high quality mod that is available for Crysis.

You are correct, I do not have Warhead but I saw some benchmarks already and they look like the same old story.

September 18, 2008 5:01:32 PM

I dunno what to tell you, first off I'm using the latest 177.98 Drivers Beta, 2nd off what reason do I have to lie?

I am really pissed off with the desktop results, I really am, but in enthousiast I get between 30-50 on 1 GPU = 9800 GTX. Soo what can I tell you?

I'm going to wait for Profile updates and/or a patch to fix SLI scaling.

:) 
September 18, 2008 5:35:59 PM

Well, it seems to run ok for me. I'm thinking it's better than crysis. I have everything set at gamer at 1680x1050. I got some real significant slow downs near the submarine then I got blank screen when it loaded next level. I'm going to get back to playing it after I have some lunch.
September 18, 2008 6:17:27 PM

well that definitely looks wrong. may be drivers oe just early teething problems, perhas just doesnt like his pc.
September 18, 2008 9:34:26 PM

Well he wasted one or his install just to see if it runs better. Only got one left now... Thanks EA for the DRM
!