Sign in with
Your question

Power supply fan replacement

Last response: in Components
November 9, 2008 1:50:35 PM

I just bought an Antec Tri-cool fan to replace a dying power supply fan in my Dell 8250. Would anyone know if the OEM fan was temperature controlled. I realize virtually all the new ones are but I'm unsure about my older Dell.

The Antec provides great connectivity options and has a 3-speed switch. I'd like to connect it using the Molex power connector and adjust the speed manually. They're very quiet and I think low or medium would be enough cooling. If you guys think that's a bad idea choice 2 is to splice it into the 2-wire power supply feed (especially if its temp controlled) and let the Power supply regulate it. I know I could have made things real simple by just buying a 2-wire fan but I really like the Antecs for the money.
November 9, 2008 2:07:42 PM

I thought about this some more and have answered my own question. It makes the most sense to connect the Antec molex 12V(yellow) and Ground leads to the power supply red and black fan lead. This covers all bases and I don't have a long cable to route inside my case.
November 9, 2008 7:25:33 PM

Is it the fan inside the PSU? If so then you may be better off replacing the PSU. If you don't know what you are doing, you could potentially electrocute yourself. This coming from an apple certified tech.
Related resources
November 9, 2008 7:50:25 PM

Yes it is. I'm very mechanical and already had the power supply apart to check fan size. It's basically 4 fasteners and a 2-wire connection. Although I must say since my original post I have contemplated just replacing the whole power supply due to it's age. I found an Apevia 500Watt supply on sale for $30 including shipping. Maybe not the best unit but this PC is almost 6 years old. You never know where to draw the line with an older pc. I know Dell's not the best but the 8250 is a pretty good machine.
November 9, 2008 8:12:44 PM

You could try, you'll have to replace the psu if the fan dies anyway. Good science experiment...
!