New CCC v8.9 question

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Alright I see the new ATI drivers are out today.

Just a noobie question. Should I install the version I have now? And if so is there any handy programs to help get rid of all the files that people use, or things I should look out for.

Thank you

G

don't install the drivers on the disk that comes with the gpu, just download the latest driver and CCC pack from ATI (8.9) and then install those

theres nothing to worry about

No install the newest version, they update drivers so they are better and you will benefit and get most out of your card so always go for newest drivers. Just install new 8.9 drivers and they will replace the old ones Or you can go to control panel and uninstall them manually

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
I actually meant i got v8.8 installed, im upgrading to 8.9, just asking if theres like a driver cleaner program or something to make sure to get rid of everything, thats all :D soz

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Just installed new drivers myself. I don't know what it is about ATI drivers, but I always have problems. Hopefully this version will fix some problems I've been having (CCC randomly crashing, screen flicking on and off). After install and reboot, the colors in my windows sidebar were all screwy and CCC crashed along with a lot of screen flicking. Rebooted again and things seem ok now. *crosses fingers*

Regardless of driver issues, my 4870x2 has been able to run anything I throw at it with ease at 1900x1080 so I'm satisfied with that. Great hardware, crappy drivers.

Phin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Problems can arise when there are traces left behind by an old driver when a new driver is installed. To properly and efficiently remove old drivers you should uninstall them via control panel and restart your PC. THEN you should run a program to remove all remaining data left behind, Drive Cleaner Pro is a great one and is free to download. When running Drive Cleaner select ATI as your cleaning choice and let it run. Restart your PC. Then install the new 8.9's and you will be a happy camper. Hope this helps and good luck.

What i do is download the new drivers and put them somewhere safe. Then use this http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=1447

Then i go to ADD and Remove and uninstall any ATI entries there, Then i go to Program files and uninstall (delete the folder) for ATI. Empty the recycle bin. Reboot the computer which will boot the graphics with no drivers so will probably come up at 600x800 and then install the new drivers. Just be sure you dont delete your new drivers :)

Mactronix