Sign in with
Your question

Just wondering

Last response: in Memory
December 10, 2008 10:32:57 AM

When you look at the memory specifications of asus boards you sometimes see this as supported memory types: ddr3 1333, ddr3 1600 (oc), ddr3 1800 (oc). I think its obvious the oc stands for overclocking, but I know you can buy ddr3 1600 and 1800 right away. Is this than a sort of factory overclocked ram? And why are the guys of asus talking about overclocking when you can buy ram like that and don't need to do any overclocking at all?
I'm just curious about this, so if anyone can explain this to me, that would be very kind.

More about : wondering

December 10, 2008 11:40:55 AM

Because it costs more!!! You can get the 1333 ddr3 cheaper than the rest. THose at 1600 and 1800 are more "extreme performance" oriented so you pay the premium. Otherwise, if you can afford it, go for the faster one cause the timings will be tighter adn you are guaranteed they will operate at those freqs
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2008 11:54:50 AM

The chipset itself does not have native support or verified to run stable at those speeds. It has not been validatd at those speeds by Intel, AND, etc. in their validation labs.
It dose not mean it will not run stable at those speeds. Just that it is not guaranteed by the manufacturerof the chip to run at those speeds.
Related resources
December 10, 2008 1:09:26 PM

So if I buy one of those boards with ddr3 1800 and whatever cpu that is supported by it and pop all that stuff in, it will work right away? I think most recent mobo's have separated memory controllers so the mem can run at any freqency at any fsb. However 1:1 is the most performing right?
December 11, 2008 5:16:42 AM

Your ram has to be paced at the same ratio as your CPU. Some mobos allow you to fix the ratio up a little though.
December 11, 2008 12:15:30 PM

But the ratio is something between you cpu and dram right? How can you set them both at the same ratio?
I think in the past you could choose from a couple of fsb:D ram ratio's to set your ram speed according to the fsb. Now I think it is possible to set much more ram speeds while keeping the same fsb. In my mobo bios I can simply enter the ram speed i want in mhz without even touching the fsb or dram:fsb ratios.
But back to the main question. See my second post for that.
!