Underclocking question

RebornDK

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
English is not my native language so please excuse any bad spelling and/or grammar :)

I have a case that baffles me it's beyond my comprehension :)

I have a home buildt system that looks something like the below; I only have 2gigs of corsair mem in my system. And have another 2 gigs laying staring me, with a smuck grin on it's chips, right in the face. Now since I'm running Vista 64bit (this will stop very soon though, intend to swap for win7 asap.) I would very much like to get those last to blocks of mem up and running. Enter the strangeness..

I plug in 2 of the blocks and the comp is running smoothly. I plug in the last 2 and the computer freezes up on me within 5 mins. I take the last two out again restart my system and no problems again. I swap the 2 blocks that are in the system with the two I just took out and restart. No problem the system runs smoothly... baffled I stare sumb struck at my computer scratching my head. Yank out everything change the mobo and try again. Same problem with 2 blocks everything runs smoothly with 4 it freezes up on me within 5 mins.

I have checked the mem using CPU-Z and according to that program they all run the same CAS latensy and so on. Frequency and every thing..
see screens for ref:

pic1
pic2

system specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Main Board: ASUS Striker II NSE ACPI BIOS Revision 0406
GFX (fail to see how it's relevant but here it is just in case) : GeForce 8800 GT 512 x 2
Mem: DDR3 PC3-10700H (667Mhz) Corsair CM3X1024-1333C9DHX (currently 2 hopefully 4 with your help :)
OS: Windows Vista 64 Ultimate (I know I know it sucks bigtime, no need to rub it in my face :)

To sum the prob.: system runs smoothly with 2 gigs but freezes up with 4.

Home someone has a brain wave out there because I'm out of ideas. :/

Since no one has tried to help you, I thought maybe you could use another lead. I am not familiar with your memory controller chipset, but you may find someone in the ASUS forums. You will need to choose the ASUS forum for your language.

You may find that filling all four memory slots will require increased voltage to your memory controller.

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Try downloading memtest86+ and test each stick of ram individually in the exact same slot. If one or more fails then you have a problem with a stick of ram. If they all pass, then try placing one stick in each of the four slots testing each time. If it fails then you have a problem with the memory slot and should RMA.

RebornDK

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Hi there

treefrog07: you actualy helped alot increasing the voltage was the solution. I just cranked it up from 1.5 to 1.525 and voila! Problem solved.

thanks alot both of you for your help. :D