Memory question and CPU Timing

DennisP

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I just built a system with a Gigabyte EP35-ds3l MoBo, 2 sticks of Kingstong DDR2 PC6400 800 RAM, and an E8400CPU retail

I'm not overclocking my system but want to optimze my system to it's full potnetial.

In the BIOS I notice that the system reports 2 GB of RAM running in single channel. If I have dual channel...how do I activate it? I looked through the BIOS options and swa nothing about it.

Also I notice that my CPU is clocked a 8.5X and is running at 2.83Ghz. If my CPU is rated for 3Ghz...can I just go n and bump the 8.5X to 9.0X without touching anything else?

I hate messing in the BIOS if I'm not sure what I'm doing. That's why I don't overclock. However I'd like to get this computer running up to it's stock potential.

Thanks to any who answer. I was looking for a website that had a BIOS optimized for my MB...but all I see are overclocked website. I'm concerned about following some fo the settings and creating an unstable computer or worse..frying my CPU.

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
.2ghz is nothing to fret about, it won't fry your cpu by any means I doubt it'll raise 2c in temperature. go ahead.

DennisP

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
"Put memory in the 1st and 3rd slots or the 2nd and 4th for dual channel"

Thanks Mate, ya'd think they may have mentioned that when the printed the book that came with the Mobo :fou:

rockyjohn

Distinguished

They did. On page 16, under installing memory, there is a whole little section with diagrams explaining dual channel memory. You obviously did not read the manual so you only embarrass yourself for attacking Gigabyte for not providing something they did provide - that you chose not to read.

Regarding the speed of the CPU, you might want to go back to your manual and read about automatic speed controls that might be affecting the performance you are talking about .

Further - I suggest that the only place you should get a BIOS for your board is from Gigabyte. Have you gone to their page for your mobo to see what they provide?

DennisP

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

You are absolutely correct. Page 16 did have the information regarding the RAM. I did read the manual before and during my build. That diagram part just escaped me at the time. The last computer I build required two DIMMS to work (RAM Had to be installed in pairs) and they had to be placed next to each other to operate. I read the text that stated there are 4 channels divided into two banks Channel 0: DDR1 and 2, and Channel 1 DDR 3 and 4. I never paid any attention to the little box to the right of the picture of the RAM banks. I read the next paragraph stating that you shouldn't mix RAM or only use one DIMM if you want DDR 2 to be enabled. I guess I expected there to be a mention of the splitting of the RAM in the text to enable DDR2....it wasn't...so I missed it. Lesson learned, decipher diagrams when reading instructions.

Would you mind telling me what page the automatic speed control is referenced? I've been reading the manual but have not run across automatic speed control, Page 47 is the closest I can come to anything the refers to CPU clock speeds and frequency. I bought the E8400 CPU to run a computer at 3.0Ghz and a FSB of 1333. When I look at the BIOS and it shows a slower CPU speed, I ask why. I just assume that because the Mobo has an Intel chipset, is designed use the the Intel CPU I installed....the computer should run at the default speed of the CPU (3.0Ghz). This has always been the case in the computers I assembled before. That being said, the following is provided:

My CPU clock ratio shows 8X in the BIOS...
it allows me to go to 9 (I read somewhere that the E8400 has a multiplier of 9X - However...I'm not sure if this is what they are talking about in the BIOS?

Fine clock ratio- (+0.5)

My CPU Frequency (shaded in blue) shows 2.83Ghz (333X8.50) Again I see the multiplier..

Now the manual doesn't say this...but if I were guessing....I should change the clock ratio to 9, then change the Fine clock ratio to 0...and the blue shaded CPU frequency changes to 3.0Ghz. When I save this in the BIOS..it should not cause a problem.

Again...I've never overclocked a cpmputer...so I've never played with these BIOS values before. Every other system I assembled always defaulted to the correct CPU speed...so this was never an issue....and thought I should ask before blindly going in and making changes I think are correct.

Rather than assume anything (Like I assumed about the RAM)...I ask questions when things do not appear to be as I expected them...... and hope someone with the knowledge and patience will guide me along.

I also would never ever ever use a 3d party BIOS....It fact the idea of flashing a BIOS is something I probably wouldn't even attempt myself. People have written saying not to use the Windows BIOS update procedure. I assume a BIOS can still be flashed using a Floppy Disk. I'd probably go to a computer shop and have them do it with a Floppy disk. I have been to the Gigabyte website and seen the download for drivers and BIOS updates. (Gigabyte states if the BIOS works in your system...don't upgrade just to upgrade). I've also read in the forums that sometimes when people overclock...the earlier versions of the BIOS will not retain the overclocked settings. Since I don't intend to overclock I didn't think this would be a issue. Now I'm concerned that if I change the settings to go to 3.0Ghz the BIOS reset to the 2.83Ghz setting.

Thanks to those that explained splitting the RAM to get DDR2..I missed it completely and not sure I would have ever picked it up re-reading the manual.

Regards

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Manual
Pg. 38 - CPU EIST Function (Note)
Enables or disables Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). Depending on CPU loading, Intel® EIST technology can dynamically and effectively lower the CPU voltage and core frequency to decrease average power consumption and heat production. (Default: Enabled)

Maybe you should read through your manual again if you are missing so many areas that directly relate to your needs.

If you are having trouble with current Gigabyte boards, I recommend going to tweaktown.com where they have a Gigabyte forum to provide free technical support for their motherboards, graphics cards and other products!

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

I had memory timing issues on my P35-DS3L that I could not resolve and posted on their board and got a response within 2 hours - on the 4th of July. There are several moderators - if you get Lsdmeasap, tell him hello for me. He was a lifesaver for me. Helped me tweak memory timings to make my memory work properly.

DennisP

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Thanks for the advice....I did see that on page 38 but never made a connection that the BIOS would lower the CPU frequency from stock settings. I read that as something that would kick in if the CPU was under load...kind of like an overdrive in a car...... Never figured this feature would basically down-clock a processor if it was enabled. Just goes to show you how out of touch I am with the newer technology.

Cheers