Oh man, you guys should ban me...

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I work for a large retail store, and was helping out a customer (in another department) who needed a new AGP video card for a gaming PC (we only have a few AGP cards). It was busy and this was a fairly quick transaction, and I did not give it much thought. I sell many thousands or tens of thousands of dollars per day, so this was not a big deal.

Got him the card, rung him up, and sent him on his way.

Half an hour later, I got a nagging feeling about the sale. So I double checked what I sold him, and then went on Newegg to confirm what I thought:

I sold him a GeForce 7300GT 512MB card for over $200.

I have NO idea why it was that much (we are in-line for everything else, and this card was even on clearance), but if I knew at the time how horrible of a price that was, I would have suggested something else, and if he wanted a PCI-e card, that would not have happened as I know those cards fairly well (I would have talked about a 4850, 9600, 9800, or similar). Trust me, I was thinking, "If you had a new system, you could be putting in a 4850 or 9600 for LESS money!")

I feel a little dirty to be honest, that card is dog slow and is maybe worth $50 as a replacement for a old computer.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

Like I said, if it was a PCI-e card, it would not have happened, being an AGP card, I just didn't even give it any second thought. Its not really about trust, it was just a horrible price (it must have been an error). I have no way to find the person.

soundsefx - huh? I am a hourly, part-time employee at a store with a good return policy, why would *I* buy something back?

If anything, this is a good lesson for us that we need to at least take a quick glance before or after we buy something to make sure we did OK. Its just so freaking easy to Google something and get pricing.

Ascadia

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Don't worry, I'm sure the guy will post on these forums about how he got ripped off on an AGP card in a week or two.

:)

crowheart27us

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
i usually only go newegg. the only thing in my computer from best buy is my x-fi fatal1ty xtreme gamer pro.
luckily i found it for 75.99. otherwise their prices suck

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
by another department, do u mean u work in one that is completely unrelated to electronics?

anyway, this is the exact reason i think they should finally stop selling AGP cards (let the ebayers/resellers sell to ppl who really need AGP that bad). most of the time, they are MORE expensive than their PCIe cousins, which is ridiculous.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

No, plenty related to electronics.

Yes, AGP video cards need to die as a 'new' product. Either buy used or NOS on eBay.

Dang, not even a 7600gs. Well it could be worse, you could have sold him a 6200 :D . A 7300GT is just a cut down 7600GS that kinda performs like a 6600. But I mean really $200 and that was on clearance!! :non:

Oh well, that's what he gets for buying video cards without knowing anything :D .

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Anybody who bought a 7300 GT for $200 isn't going to be posting anything on any PC forum anytime soon.

PS - that's the markup for stores like Best Buy in my area too. Ridiculous prices.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Forget about it....I was working partime at PC world (uk) a while back.

Graphics cards were just stupid prices and i would tell any customer who asked me for advice to buy online...i would tell them what to buy and where to get it....but did they listen...of course not.

I left just as we had got the 9600gt in stock (for a reasonable price of about £150). However these two guys game in saying the wanted to build "the ultimate gaming rig" and wanted to go sli...they wanted 2 8600gt which we sold for the stupid price of about £130. I told them don't do it...that a single 9600gt is gonna beat them both. But they hadn't heard of the 9600gt and they knew what they wanted. In the end i just sold them both.

The people who buy stuff from such shops know nothing about pc's and arent going to notice how slow something is anyhow. Don't feel guilty.

There are some bargains if your very lucky though, i saw and bought an 8800gtx that had been officially mispriced at the same as what we sold the 8600gts for about £160. Of course such things never actauly hit the shop floor :D

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
If the customer can afford to be that uninformed who cares. The only crime is that you probably didn't receive some sort of spiff for selling it at that price. In my youth I sold electronics and warranty on about 40% of my sales. I'd treat customers based on their attitude and disposable income. Some kid comes in with his part time job money scraped together you get him the best bang for the buck. Some pompous A-hole acting the **** with a propeller on the hood of his car; I'd take pride selling him discontinued dusty over priced crap with all the accessories and the longest extended warranty.

Ahh memories, if there was money in flogging that crap I'd still be doing it.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
your situation is not unusual,that is the going store price for that card when and if you can get/find it as almost no one stocks them anymore and they are fairly hard to come by,
i was in a local retail store a few weeks ago and that was the quoted price they gave to someone over the phone as i stood there for the above reasons..:)

alfrido

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Well Kudos for saying it in the open.
He will forgive you if you explain it to him.

There are allot of patient people in this world. I hope he is too.

Goodluck and help him. You know customers are the king. So treat them right.