Sign in with
Your question
Solved

"This copy of windows is not genuine"

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2010 1:33:36 AM

I have been doing a few laptop and desktop HHD upgrades. I am using Acronis True Image 2010 to clone SATA drives. I have two spare SATA cables laying in the bottom of my case, that I use to "temporarily " attach the source and destination drives to my desktop for cloning. I boot and windows 7 64bit finds driver for HHD's and asks for a restart, I say "later" use Acronis to clone which requires a reboot. After clone is complete, and remove both HHD's, I reboot to find a nag box about windows not being genuine. I click check now, and everything is hunky-dorrie. Is there some way to avoid this? Does this count as an authentication, for the automated system? I hate to have to call Microsoft.

More about : copy windows genuine

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 19, 2010 3:59:52 AM

So you cloned your original disk then copied it to another, which you used on the same computer? Be prepared to call Microsoft; maybe your Windows saw it was on a different drive, and decided that it was cloned.
February 19, 2010 4:59:16 AM

r_manic said:
So you cloned your original disk then copied it to another, which you used on the same computer? Be prepared to call Microsoft; maybe your Windows saw it was on a different drive, and decided that it was cloned.

I was just on an upgrading binge. Yes, I was replacing the hard drives on the machines for more storage. The problem if you can call it that, is that on the "host" machine with the back up software, where I would image the drives, it would watermark my screen, at first reboot, but then would show "genuine" in the Computer>properties screen. I don't think I am doing anything contra to the Window's EULA, I'm not pirating anything, just transfering a disk image, for the same machine it was installed on.

I have finished, my wife and I are just a little tech crazy, we are running 3 desktops, 1 home network server, 2 laptops, and a mac book pro. I have upgraded all the hard drives on every machine, except the mac.
Related resources
February 26, 2010 12:46:54 AM

Best answer selected by henrystrawn.
!