PSU choice, could use some advice/opinions

dowsolo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Ive currently got an OCZ GameXStream 600w psu. Yesterday it crapped out on me after a year and a half. Ive contacted OCZ and made arrangements to get a replacement through the Warranty "Power Swap" system. However they have no GXS 600w in stock at their location (lucky for me its 1/2 hr away) but they are willing to swap for their OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w.

My question is which do you guys think is the better choice?
My original GameXStream 600w or the ModXStream Pro 700w?

My Current Setup is as follows... Im hoping to be upgrading the Gpu/Cpu and adding some more ram in the New Year and want to make sure the psu is the best available to me.

CPU: C2D e4300 Currently @ stock
GPU: EVGA 7600GT
MB: Gigabyte 965P DS3 Rev3.3
Ram: OCZ platinum XTC DDR2 800 2x1gig
HS: ACF7 Pro

GameXStream 600w: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_gamexstream_power_supply-nvidia_sli_ready_

ModXStream 700w: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_500w_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply

Im not worried about looks, cable management is obviously better in the ModXStream. Im just looking at PSU performance wise.

icyicy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Both of these are far more powerful than you need.
They will both do the trick, just take whichever costs you the least to replace/whatever is more easily available.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

^+1

I did the math, the 700 Modxstream has 46A combined on both rails

The way i was told to do it was divide total power on +12v1 and +12v2 by 12

so 552w/12 = 46A

4745454b

Titan
I believe the GameXstreme is a FSP made PSU. It is based on their "epsilon" platform, and has a ripple/noise issue on the 12V rail. While this means its not the best PSU, its still ok. I *think* all of the "Xstreme" PSUs are epsilon models, so there isn't really much difference between them as you might think. Read Jonnyguru to make sure, but I think they are the same.

What you should get depends on what you might be upgrading to. Your current power draw can't be much, even at load. (the 7600GT is not a big power hog, nor is the 4xxx series of C2D CPUs.) Seeing as your draw is so small (under 200W for most of the time I would think) you are not doing yourself any favors by getting a large PSU. They are most efficient when they are between 20-80% of their rated output. While the 800W might be nice, it will spend most of its time at less then 25%.

I would "straight" swap it for whatever they want, as long as you want an OCZ/FSP epsilon PSU. If you want something with slightly better noise control, get a different model PSU.

dowsolo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks alot for the responses.

First off i guess i should explain that there wont be any cost as its a warranty replacement, as well i realize i dont need anything bigger with this current setup.

However I intend on upgrading in the new year too either a gtx 260 or 280, as well as a C2D e8xxx cpu maybe throw in an X-fi as well. So im expecting to be drawing more than my meager current system, I'm hoping i wont be needing an 800w cause i havent got the money atm to be paying extra.

So for im getting the impression to go with the 700 since i have the choice between the two. I look forward to any more opinions anyone may have. Thanks again for the input.

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I don't understand why people tend to suggest PSUs that are an overkill. Off the wall load and effeciency loads are different. A 4870x2 crossfire draws 800 watts off the wall - this includes the OC'ed CPU and HDDs. At 80% effeciency, we're talking something around 650watts. For that setup, a 600 is already an overkill. I got 4850 crossfired on a 550 PSU, OC'ed Q6600 and 4 HDDs - I'm using only 430watts!

4745454b

Titan
No, you've got it backwards. If a PSU is 80% efficient and providing 800W, its drawing (800W *100 / 80) 1000W from the wall. For a setup that needs 800W, I'd get one that provides at least 1kW. PSUs are most efficient at 20-80% of the rated output, so 1kW is the smallest you should get.