Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8800GTS 640 MB vs 9800GT vs 8800GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 18, 2008 11:28:43 AM

Oh boy, haven't posted here in a while. Any who let me get right to the point.

I can grab an 8800GTS 640 for the same price as a 9800GT 512, or the newer 8800GTS 512 with the G92 cores.

which is the best deal? When i was still paying attention at PC hardware i knew the 8800 GTS 640 was the best price to performance out there. I also know the 9800 GT and the G92 8800GT are more or less the same card..

Yes, i know that the HD 4850 is in my price range but i'll take a pass at ATi cards. My x1900xt decided to burn up after working for a good year and a half, never overclocked and had a zalman on it (yes, i know how to install them properly).

thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2008 11:50:35 AM

The 9800GT and 8800GTS (G92) are neck and neck.
The older 8800GTS 640 is pretty old card these days. The G92 cores are faster and run cooler, and overclock a easier.
You can get a bad card no matter what kind you buy.
For everyone who says they will never buy another brand of something, there are literally thousands and thousands of people using the exact same thing with no problems what so ever. If the card burnt up after you installed an aftermarket cooler, even if you THINK you know what you are doing, well dude sorry but 1 and 1 makes 2.
I have owned several ATI cards. I have owned several nVidia cards.
I have an 8800GTS 512 G92 card. It is a fast stable card, overclocks to 750mhz core speed with no problems. Been very happy with it.
If I was in the market for a new card, it would be an ATI 4850 right now.
Why? Simply because it is hands down excellent performance for the price.
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2008 11:50:49 AM

Out of those cards, the 8800GTS 512 would be the best choice.
The 9800GT = 8800GT with the option for 3 way SLI.

8800GTS 512 and 9800GT both are based on the G92 chip but the 9800GT has one of the nodes disabled. The 8800GTS 512 has a fully working G92 with 128 SP, the 9800GT has 112 SP active. The 8800GTS 640 is based off the G80 chip and only has 96 SP.

If you are un willing to consider the 4850 (which is faster than a 9800GTX, or a highly overclocked 8800GTS 512, BTW) I would say get the 8800GTS 512. It's performance is nearly the same as the 8800GTX of old.
Related resources
September 18, 2008 9:37:09 PM

i installed the zalman about a week after i got the card. it started giving me problems about a a year after that. that is what i meant by saying I know how to install a cooler, not that it burned after i put it on there, zalman manuals are pretty straight forward.

any who i do understand that a HD4850 is the best option, I'd feel safer if they came with warranties longer than 3 years. I keep my cards until they get out dated, running my old 6800GS right now, great card.

The one company im willing to buy an ATi card from is HIS, because they actually keep their cards cool, but their warranty is crap. this one to be exact.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

back to the toss up between the 3 nvidia's. so you guys say the 8800GTS with the G92 core is the best? im not planning on OCing and Im eye balling this BFG one right now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 18, 2008 9:46:06 PM

why would u want to keep a 4850 longer than 3 years anyways??
im about to get a 8800gt for like a month till i get the money for something better... 8800gt is pretty decent for $110...
September 18, 2008 9:47:58 PM

and just in case u want to know 2 8800gt are just $220 including shipping... they perform near if not better than a gtx 280... only con is they throw hot air inside the case...
September 18, 2008 11:10:42 PM

i dont have the need or want to play my games, current or future, at max settings, i need a good card that will still work when i need it to. Like my 6800 GS. Its doing everything my x1900xt did, granted its not doing it quite as well.

I run a 975x chipset, no SLi.
September 18, 2008 11:12:07 PM

then a single 8800gt is fine for ur needs...
September 18, 2008 11:18:46 PM

See this review.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/02/g80-vs-g92-hi-end-ge...

9800gt is identical to 8800gt.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_9800gt...
Also, 9800gt does NOT support tri sli. Only one bridge connection on pcb.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_9800gt...
Specs are identical. In other words, same as 8800gt, no changes.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_9800gt...

9800gt is another product of Nvidia renaming scheme. G92 8800gts to 9800gtx is another example.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/03/geforce-9800gtx-revi...
Although 9800gtx's core is clocked at 25mhz higher, resulting in slightly greater performance. 9800gt's core is clocked the same as 8800gt, resulting in no additional performance.

Performance:
g92 8800gts > 8800gt/9800gt > g80 8800gts.
September 18, 2008 11:21:36 PM

dagger is it worth to pay the extra ~$60 for the g92 gts instead of a 8800gt (g92)??
September 18, 2008 11:24:14 PM

Nica Guy said:
dagger is it worth to pay the extra ~$60 for the g92 gts instead of a 8800gt (g92)??


It does run cooler and overclocks higher, but at stock, that's only around 15% more performance for $60 more. So I'd think not.
September 18, 2008 11:40:33 PM

what about overclocked?
September 18, 2008 11:44:06 PM

Nica Guy said:
what about overclocked?


Typically around 20%, or from 650mhz to 750-780mhz. 8800gt overclocks too, just not as much. So still not worth $60 extra.
September 19, 2008 12:13:01 AM

oh kk
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 12:21:29 AM

If you buy a 8800GT, be sure to get one that uses the dual slot cooler, like the GTS, it is a much, much better cooling solution than a single slot type card.
I dunno, I'd still prefer the GTS over the GT even at $60 bucks more.
But either way, the 8800GT or the 8800GTS, they are going to be a big kick in the pants improvement over your current card. Have fun.
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 1:38:45 AM

Doesnt visiontek offer lifetime warrantiy? Thatd be good on a 4850
September 19, 2008 3:39:28 AM

dagger said:
See this review.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/02/g80-vs-g92-hi-end-ge...

9800gt is identical to 8800gt.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_9800gt...
Also, 9800gt does NOT support tri sli. Only one bridge connection on pcb.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_9800gt...
Specs are identical. In other words, same as 8800gt, no changes.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_9800gt...

9800gt is another product of Nvidia renaming scheme. G92 8800gts to 9800gtx is another example.
http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/03/geforce-9800gtx-revi...
Although 9800gtx's core is clocked at 25mhz higher, resulting in slightly greater performance. 9800gt's core is clocked the same as 8800gt, resulting in no additional performance.

Performance:
g92 8800gts > 8800gt/9800gt > g80 8800gts.


thanks.

dagger said:
Typically around 20%, or from 650mhz to 750-780mhz. 8800gt overclocks too, just not as much. So still not worth $60 extra.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

prices are more or less the same, if i buy an nvidia its from BFG. I put the 4850 in there to show that it is in fact the only one that costs more somewhat more.

edit: i just noticed...the ati card is the only one that comes with a lesser return policy....hmmm

jitpublisher said:
If you buy a 8800GT, be sure to get one that uses the dual slot cooler, like the GTS, it is a much, much better cooling solution than a single slot type card.
I dunno, I'd still prefer the GTS over the GT even at $60 bucks more.
But either way, the 8800GT or the 8800GTS, they are going to be a big kick in the pants improvement over your current card. Have fun.


yep, i had to buy a card for my brother in august, looked up the 8800GT and the 9600GT, went with the 9600 GT because it was 30-40 bucks cheaper and about the same and he plays fewer games than me. i think i ended up ordering the eVGA one that was 10 dollars more because it had a dual slot cooler

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Doesnt visiontek offer lifetime warrantiy? Thatd be good on a 4850


yes it does, now only if they put a dual slot cooler on that card. i'd buy it in a heart beat.

what about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know it has a three year warranty but i dont mind if its an nvidia, they've never died on me, my MX440. GeForce 4 Go 440, 6600GT, then the 6800GS, and now possibly some 8 or 9 series. All live.

My ATi cards are pretty bad. Radeon 7000, works! mobility x300, dead. X700, artifacts/pixely windows, x1900xt dead.
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 3:57:47 AM

Id get a GTS. Theyre just better. The "new" 98s are really only older 88s, and a GT isnt as good as a GTS
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 10:02:53 AM

@ pegwin

That ASUS 9800GT looks good and I could recommend a few other nVidia options for you.
For about $20 more after all MIR's you could get an 8800GTS 512 or 9800GTX.
The 8800GTS costs only $10 more up front and has a $20 MIR.
The 9800GTX costs you an extra $33 up front and has a $40 MIR.
They will both outperform your overclocked 9800GT and offer good overclocking of their own.

@ dagger

Just to offer a quick correction.
Yes, the 8800GT and 9800GT are virtually the same.
Same clock speeds, arch and performance.
Many of the 9800GT's are re branded 8800GT's.
Not all of them are though.
Some are based off the shrunk G92b core same as the 9800GTX+ (but still at the same speed as the 8800GT) and some do support tri-SLI.

As evidence, I would submit 2 exhibits.

First would be the 9800GT that pegwin proposes to purchase Here.
Unfortunately, ASUS's site does not have any of the 9800GT's listed as of this morning and I can not get the image from newegg to embed but you can see it Here.
Anyways, it is one of the 9800GT's that offers only duel SLI support.

The second would be This ASUS 9800GT.
Again, I can not get any images to embed directly however, you can see it Here.
Looking at the images, you can clearly see 2x SLI connectors meaning tri-SLI.

Sorry that I do not have the time to gather any other supporting evidence as I am still at work :( 
September 19, 2008 10:45:21 AM

sahil said:
sorry to interrupt your topic but i am stuck in the same boat

but what about this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


i dunno, palit is a newer company, seems like a good product though

outlw6669 said:
@ pegwin

That ASUS 9800GT looks good and I could recommend a few other nVidia options for you.
For about $20 more after all MIR's you could get an 8800GTS 512 or 9800GTX.
The 8800GTS costs only $10 more up front and has a $20 MIR.
The 9800GTX costs you an extra $33 up front and has a $40 MIR.
They will both outperform your overclocked 9800GT and offer good overclocking of their own.


I know about the GTX+, i'm just afraid my PSU will not support it. I dont know how much power it uses, if its less than an x1900xt then i should be fine, the x1900xt looks like it uses 108 watts.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gpu-cons...

specs: Intel PEE955 (yes, laugh it up but it OC's like a monster)
Foxconn 975x
4 x 512 ddr2-667
4 hd's
2 cd/dvd drives
bunch of fans (p180 case)
sb audigy 2 zs
6800GS
Antec NeoHE 430w
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 11:18:08 AM

You will be cutting it close but it should work.
A stock 9800GT (yours is highly overclocked) is recomended to have a 400w PSU and claims to draw 105w max.
A stock 9800GTX is recommended to have a 450w PSU and claims to draw 140w max.

Something you have going for you is the quality of your PSU.
According to Silent PC's review of your model, it is of fairly high quality.
Also, the 430w rating is continuous, not the max output that is most commonly advertised.
As such, it can, when needed, output more power than the rated 430w.

edit: forgot to add the links :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 11:33:47 AM

Youre looking at 8 to 10 watts more power usage over a xt, you should be ok, but its tight
September 19, 2008 9:12:20 PM

i've got an Antec smart power 450 lying around. its backwards....believe i took it out of their media center case. any who, the power plug faces inwards (into the case) but that wont be a problem, i can have a cable to go from inside the case to the outside.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=94003

came from this rack mount. i dont think its better than my neohe 430.

alright, so it comes down to 8800GTS vs 9800GTX+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

the 9800gtx is more inconvenient, uses more power (?) and is longer. price has a 10 dollar difference, thats fine with me. it seems as if the 8800GTS g92 and the 9800GTX+ are more or less the same. am i wrong? which one would you folks recommend?
September 19, 2008 11:36:37 PM

pengwin said:
i've got an Antec smart power 450 lying around. its backwards....believe i took it out of their media center case. any who, the power plug faces inwards (into the case) but that wont be a problem, i can have a cable to go from inside the case to the outside.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=94003

came from this rack mount. i dont think its better than my neohe 430.

alright, so it comes down to 8800GTS vs 9800GTX+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

the 9800gtx is more inconvenient, uses more power (?) and is longer. price has a 10 dollar difference, thats fine with me. it seems as if the 8800GTS g92 and the 9800GTX+ are more or less the same. am i wrong? which one would you folks recommend?


9800gtx+ is the 55nm die shrink. So there is a difference. And that 8800gts is way overpriced. Why would you pay that much for a GTS? This is more like a reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 11:41:47 PM

The cheapest. The 88 runs a lil slower, maybe a tad hotter. But basically theyre the same card, tho the + is a different process
September 20, 2008 1:01:59 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
The cheapest. The 88 runs a lil slower, maybe a tad hotter. But basically theyre the same card, tho the + is a different process


ok, so between the 8800GTS, 9800GTX and the 9800GTX+ what kind of difference as far as power/heat am i looking at?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

dagger said:
9800gtx+ is the 55nm die shrink. So there is a difference. And that 8800gts is way overpriced. Why would you pay that much for a GTS? This is more like a reasonable price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Zotac comes with no warranty. BFG comes with a life time warranty + excellent customer service.
September 20, 2008 1:06:40 AM

pengwin said:
ok, so between the 8800GTS, 9800GTX and the 9800GTX+ what kind of difference as far as power/heat am i looking at?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...



Zotac comes with no warranty. BFG comes with a life time warranty + excellent customer service.


It says 2 years right on bottom of the Newegg page. The card will be too old in 2 years anyway. Graphics move fast. :p 
September 20, 2008 3:49:15 AM

dagger said:
It says 2 years right on bottom of the Newegg page. The card will be too old in 2 years anyway. Graphics move fast. :p 


http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=...

i still have a pee955...dont you see a trend here? I seem to keep things until they stop working.
:D 
September 22, 2008 10:23:43 AM

thanks dagger.


ordered a 9800GTX+ last night, should be here in a few days. i'll let you guys know how it goes.
!