Sign in with
Your question

Need help setting up for high performance

Last response: in Overclocking
November 4, 2009 2:17:17 PM

Greetings once again.

Now that I solved a couple of issues with my computer, I think it's time to OC a little the system, although I don't know how, so please guide me through a little.

These are the specs of my computer:

Mother board: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Processor: Core i7 920 at 2.67 GHz
Memory: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz
Video Card: EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB Superclocked Edition, that's 2 cards in SLi.
Power Supply Unit: Antec 1000w True Power Quattro
Case: Antec 1200 ATX Full Tower
Operative System: Windows Vista Enterprice, Service Pack 2, 64bit.
Monitor: ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor, working on 1920 x 1200

These are the video cards settings with EVGA's Precision tool:

This is the summary from GPU-Z:

And these are the sensors readings:

Now, the heaviest game I have as to graphical load it is, would be Crysis (original)
At the game's website I used their tool "Can you Run it?" and these are the results I got:

With all this said, if I set all the graphic options to Very High, keep resolution to 1920 x 1200, No AA and no V-Sync, the game runs on an average of 20 frames per second.
Should the performance of my machine be so low?

I also installed Frontlines: Fuels of War, and also maxed out all the graphic options. Again I get an average of 20 fps.

I have other games I can give you FPS data, but if you could maybe recomend me a tool used to figure out the average performance of the machine, it might be better.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all the help provided.
November 5, 2009 4:06:05 PM

I''m still looking for help with this.
Since I don't have a profund knowledge on the subject, I don''t want to set it up wrong and fry my computer.
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2009 5:12:07 PM

Well first thing is the i7.
These are usually overclock from 3.6 to 4.4Ghz.
What CPU cooler are you using?

Edit: Just wanted to add, I don't think much will be gained from overclocking already overclocked graphics cards (this is what they mean by 'superclocked'). There could be a gain but it wont be really be that noticeable. I might be wrong here, but I wouldn't expect more than 10%, which takes you from 20 to 22fps.... so I'd start with CPU to see if that can provide a better gain.

Edit: also check out the i7 overclocking guide, the sticky at the top of the overclocking forum, this will help increase your knowledge a bit.
!