Cooler Master Hyper 212 *regular* + AM3

Russian1337

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello fellow system builders!
I'm thinking of getting this mobo:

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

with the

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

and I already have this Cooler Master Hyper 212 purchased from a while back. It isn't the PLUS version, so I'm wondring if it will fit on this mobo for AM3? I've read different info on different websites but I came across one website that said it would fit on AM2+.. None really has this one anymore since everyone is using the PLUS version, but I just want to know if there is a way to put this one to work? I just had it lying around for a long time and thinking maybe I could finally use it.
Anyone have any information on this thing? I don't want to have to purchase the PLUS version when I already have this one.. Maybe I can get the brackets that help it fit or something like that. Any input is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Solution
^5 +1 what obsidian86 said. The motherboard mounting brackets are all the same.

I installed the original Coolermaster Hyper 212 cpu heatsink in a combination AM2 / AM3 motherboard last year. No problem.

Russian1337

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
100% sure? So this would work, right? Because this one works for AM2 I believe for sure. I'll check the box again. Thanks for the quick reply. I hope someone else can confirm this!

jayman1821

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I have the 212+ "im not sure if the non-plus version is %100 the same but"
With my am3 socket mobo and the 212 + I had to remove to amd retention mechinism from my mobo and use the supplied back plate and the kits supplied retention hardware on the front of the board and it worked finefor me. Does your 212 kit come with 4 retention screws for the front? That you insert through the motherboard and through the back plate which is then secured by 4 nuts?
If so then your 212 should work.

Russian1337

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks a lot people!
Appreciate all of you. The Plus differs since it doesn't have the heat pipes set up the same as the regular (worse) and the plus comes with a couple more brackets for the i5 and i7. Thanks a lot.

peptobelly

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Hi. I was wondering how did you do that exactly? I also have a "regular" hyper 212 and was looking for a retention bracket for the am3 socket. I hate it when companies play games like that, why don't they sell a bracket set for the 212? they did for the 1156. But as you know companies are for profit and what better way to make profit than to force you to buy a new product? Any explanation would be helpful?

Russian1337

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

The way I understand it, both AM2/+, AM3 use the same mounting system, so you don't need anything extra as long as you have the AM2 bracket.
I did this research a long time ago when deciding on a processor and a heat sink. I was just browsing through my really old email account and found this message. How coincidental. :)
Have you tried installing it yet?