Sign in with
Your question

Voltages For Overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
November 4, 2009 4:18:36 PM

Hi everyone! :) 

I am completely new to overclocking but want to make my cpu a little faster. I know that you have to have the right voltages and all, but not sure what voltages you set the hardware to? I only want to overclock my CPU, not my ram or anything like that.

Here is my system:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB Patriot DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
Hard Drive: 750 GB WD SATA Caviar Black 7200 RPM; 400GB WD SATA 7200 RPM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 SC 896MB
Operating System: Windows Professional
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP31-DS3L 775 P31 RT

There is an auto voltage setting for the motherboard using MIT, but I heard that sends too much voltage to the CPU and makes it hotter than need be. I also have stock cooling.

Thanks for the help! :) 

More about : voltages overclocking

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 4, 2009 5:06:03 PM

You should be able to reach 3.0 GHz with stock cooling by simply increasing the FSB frequency to 333 MHz. You may, or may not, need a voltage increase.
m
l
November 6, 2009 4:28:37 PM

Thanks! The only thing I wanted to know before doing that was if I "need" to change the voltages or leave them at auto? If I need to change them, what do I set them to?
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2009 4:59:36 PM

You find the lowest voltage at which your overclock will be stable, it is preferable to avoid using auto because it tends to overcompensate to increase stability. Simply run a stress test to see if your OC is stable, if it is not then bump the voltage up by the smallest increment and re-test. Repeat until you reach stability.
m
l
November 6, 2009 6:43:14 PM

Bump up the voltage for each component?

How do I know what value to start at?

What do you recommend for a good stress test program?
m
l
!