Voltages For Overclocking

Hi everyone! :)

I am completely new to overclocking but want to make my cpu a little faster. I know that you have to have the right voltages and all, but not sure what voltages you set the hardware to? I only want to overclock my CPU, not my ram or anything like that.

Here is my system:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB Patriot DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
Hard Drive: 750 GB WD SATA Caviar Black 7200 RPM; 400GB WD SATA 7200 RPM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 SC 896MB
Operating System: Windows Professional
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP31-DS3L 775 P31 RT

There is an auto voltage setting for the motherboard using MIT, but I heard that sends too much voltage to the CPU and makes it hotter than need be. I also have stock cooling.

Thanks for the help! :)
4 answers Last reply
More about voltages overclocking
  1. You should be able to reach 3.0 GHz with stock cooling by simply increasing the FSB frequency to 333 MHz. You may, or may not, need a voltage increase.
  2. Thanks! The only thing I wanted to know before doing that was if I "need" to change the voltages or leave them at auto? If I need to change them, what do I set them to?
  3. You find the lowest voltage at which your overclock will be stable, it is preferable to avoid using auto because it tends to overcompensate to increase stability. Simply run a stress test to see if your OC is stable, if it is not then bump the voltage up by the smallest increment and re-test. Repeat until you reach stability.
  4. Bump up the voltage for each component?

How do I know what value to start at?

What do you recommend for a good stress test program?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking