My current setup:

EVGA GeForce 7050 nForce 610i
Intel Q6600
ATI Radeon HD 3650
4GB Mushkin PC 6400 RAM
450W PSU
500 GB SATA HDD (running Vista 64)
Xion Dazl case

I just bought an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, a Radeon HD 4870 GPU, and a 750W Corsair PSU to replace some of my old parts. I have never replaced a motherboard in an existing PC before. Somehow I doubt it is going to be as easy as taking my old mobo out, putting my components on the new board, plugging in the new mobo, and have it boot up and working just like that. So what are the steps I am going to need to take to get everything up and running on the new motherboard?
December 11, 2008 4:03:13 AM

It actually is as easy as that,except for one thing.Your current board has a nforce chipset,whereas your new board has an Intel chipset.These chipsets are NOT compatible with each other.So unfortunately you will need to re-install windows.If you don't re-install windows you will get the dreaded BSOD.So other than swapping your hardware,just re-install windows and you should be good to go.Goodluck.

Dahak

ASUS P5QL
C2D E7300 STOCK
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
December 11, 2008 4:09:19 AM

So will I just need to insert the Vista CD and reinstall, or will this mean that I have to basically reformat my HDD and completely start from scratch?

What will happen if I just plug and play without reinstalling Windows? Why can't Vista just recognize the new hardware, get rid of the old drivers and replace them with the new?
Related resources
December 11, 2008 5:12:31 AM

If I'm reading your post correctly all you need to do is just reinstall drivers for your motherboard. Shouldn't see it working any other way. A Vista reinstall might be your second option if it doesnt work.
Make sure you got the new drivers backed up on a CD.
December 11, 2008 6:16:42 AM

turkey_nuggets said:
My current setup:

EVGA GeForce 7050 nForce 610i
Intel Q6600
ATI Radeon HD 3650
4GB Mushkin PC 6400 RAM
450W PSU
500 GB SATA HDD (running Vista 64)
Xion Dazl case

I just bought an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, a Radeon HD 4870 GPU, and a 750W Corsair PSU to replace some of my old parts. I have never replaced a motherboard in an existing PC before. Somehow I doubt it is going to be as easy as taking my old mobo out, putting my components on the new board, plugging in the new mobo, and have it boot up and working just like that. So what are the steps I am going to need to take to get everything up and running on the new motherboard?

As stated previously, should be as simple as uninstalling your old MB drivers and installing the new ones. However, if you do not have a retail version of Vista, WGA may complain. Even if your version is retail, WGA might still complain. You'll have to call your local M$ support and get that sorted as well, if simply re-entering your product key is not effective.
December 11, 2008 4:17:40 PM

Ok, so basically all I will need to do is put all my components on the new motherboard, replace it with the old motherboard, and try to boot up the PC? Then, if it works, I'm good, and if it doesn't, then I reinstall Vista?
!