3yr old ASUS - need new GPU - help! (compatibility)

I am in a bit of a situation here where i need to buy a new rig, but it may be a few months and i desparately need a performance increase from my old GeForce 6800 ultra GPU... playing Warhammer Online at 12 - 15 constant FPS (using lowest possible settings in game) is killing me guys.

So, here is what i was going to do:

Buy the new GPU, use it with my current old rig, and wait a few months to buy all the rest of my new setup.

(Question 1: are the new nVidia (or ATI) GPU's compatible with a 3 year old ASUS mobo?)

{if not, what is a cheap temporary GPU solution that IS compatible}

Buy a new case and move my parts from the alienware case to a new case (its a 3 year old alienware rig with some heating issues)

(Question 2: are alienware setups built any different to where i shouldn't try to transfer cases, or is it just a fancy looking over-priced case/brand with parts that i could have spend half the amount on; and is easily transferable from case to case)

edit: new question, it IS the outdated GPU that is causing the horrible framerate, right? because im also running with a 3.2 ghz p4 processor...
1 answer Last reply
More about asus help compatibility
  1. well its really your whole system. the p4 processor is not the greatest. but if you were to upgrade your graphics card now you will see a huge difference ( depending on what you get to replace it) do you have an AGP slot or a PCIE slot for graphics. alienware makes good computers just EXTREAMLY overpriced. you could build a new system your self and save lots of money than if you where to buy a new one from alienware. if you can please list your computers entire specs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Cases Compatibility Graphics