Should I use this to clean CPU?

Biggerboat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Electrical%20Cleaning%20Products&product=29730

I'm about to mount a new fan on my Q6600 but need to clean the stock fan gunk off first. There seems to be 101 suggestions of what works and what doesn't but I haven't heard anything about Ambertron.

The description sounds ideal except the part which states it removes silicon! I'm a bit of a novice so dunno if this just means it's fine if I just refrain from sprinkling my mobo with it.

Any help appreciated.

Grant1872x

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I have heard great success of a little nail polish remover. Ask your girlfriend or mum :p (or the neighbour.... if you're feeling up for it.)

sailer

Splendid
I wouldn't use nail polish remover, as it might have added stuff that will cause later problems. I use have used 91% isopropyl alcohol for years and it works very well. Also use a lint free tissue to wipe it dry.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I've always done the same method as Sailer and never had problems. I've used electrical non conductive contact cleaner inside the dashboard and stereo in my car but for some reason never thought to use it as a CPU cleaner. I suppose that would work just fine, might give it a try next time.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I don't see why it wouldn't work. But it's not going to be any better or worse than just using 91% iso. alcohol and a lint-free rag.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I use commercial Contact & Circuit Board Cleaner. Contains Heptane and Isopropyl Alcohol.
We always have it at work so no use in going out and buying anything else.
I use my pocket knife to remove the heaviest portion of the paste to make cleaning easier.
There are cleaners sold esp. as thermal paste remover. They are probably just Alcohol based anyway.
I think nail polish remover contains oils so I would not use.

Kari

Splendid

silicone or silicon? there is a huge difference. :D