Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tungsten or Pocket PC?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:10:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I'm looking for a new PDA to replace my aging Palm IIIC. I've owned Palms
for several years. But now I find myself questioning whether to stick with
the Palm line or move to the other side--an IPAQ or other Pocket PC.

I'm looking for a good PDA for business but also multimedia, entertainment,
etc. I'd like wireless capability. I'd also like something with a large
screen. After reviewing the current line of Palms, I narrowed it down to the
T3 or T5. I was leaning toward the T3 but got turned off by the slider
feature; I like the T5 a bit more, but was turned off by the price and the
lack of certain features (no voice recorder, no cradle, etc.). And I'd have
to buy an extra card to get wireless.

I thought I'd always stay a Palm loyalist, but now am seriously considering
an IPAQ or similar unit because of all its built-in features. I still like
the Palm and Palm software for its simplicity and ease of use. And I'm not
sure how I'd take to Windows Mobile Edition or how stable it is compared to
the Palm OS and software. So I'm still on the fence.

I'd like to hear from anyone else facing the same decision, and what your
thoughts are.

Thanks for your feedback.

More about : tungsten pocket

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"LPW" <lpw@pobox.com> wrote in news:6MxDd.302$as6.246@fe12.lga:

> I'm looking for a good PDA for business but also multimedia,
> entertainment, etc. I'd like wireless capability. I'd also like
> something with a large screen. After reviewing the current line of
> Palms, I narrowed it down to the T3 or T5. I was leaning toward the T3
> but got turned off by the slider feature; I like the T5 a bit more,
> but was turned off by the price and the lack of certain features (no
> voice recorder, no cradle, etc.). And I'd have to buy an extra card to
> get wireless.
>
> I thought I'd always stay a Palm loyalist, but now am seriously
> considering an IPAQ or similar unit because of all its built-in
> features. I still like the Palm and Palm software for its simplicity
> and ease of use. And I'm not sure how I'd take to Windows Mobile
> Edition or how stable it is compared to the Palm OS and software. So
> I'm still on the fence.

I'd been a Pocket PC guy for years, and finally made the switch to the
Sony TH55. It has everything I wanted; good, big screen, WiFi, a fast
processor. It even has a camera, which is handy.

As always, I've been looking forward to the TH55's replacement, and see
nothing in the Palm world that interests me. Sony had been doing most of
the interesting Palm PDAs, but now they've gone. The platform *still*
doesn't have multitasking, which makes some things a PITA (For example,
if I'm surfing the web, then jump to another application then back to the
web browser, my "back" button's memory is erased, and I can't go
backwards. Nice.)

The built-in applications still have the absurd one-category-per-entry
limitation, forcing me to buy a 3rd party PIM so it can sync with Outlook
and keep my contact organization in place.

I know, I know. PalmOS 6 will fix all this. How long have we been
promised a modern OS from Palm, where PocketPC has been offering this for
years?

My jump from Pocket PC to Palm was driven by the impressive hardware of
the TH55; I found software that was good enough, though not great. Now,
I see no successor; the T5 looks like a midrange PDA at a high-end price.
No WiFi? In 2004? Sony's gone. Garmin just introduced a Pocket PC PDA,
not a new Palm-based one. Does Palm even have any mainstream OEMs
anymore?

At the same time, Pocket PC keeps getting better. VGA-resolution
screens, WiFi and Bluetooth even on midrange models, competitive pricing,
and the emergence of Dell as a supplier make this platform even more
attractive.

Purists will cry "Bloat!" and "Micro$oft is Evil!" but for those of us
who use a PDA as a tool, and not a political statement, this simply
doesn't matter. My last Pocket PC was an HP 567, which was a great unit,
and the more recent ones are even better, faster, and cheaper. Both HP
and Dell are rolling out model after model; there are lots of choices.

At this point, my next PDA will be the top-of-the-line Dell, with VGA
resolution screen, fast processor, WiFi and Bluetooth. I see no reason
to be loyal to a platform that is losing key OEMs and hasn't kept up with
the times.

I want the best tool for the job. PalmOS doesn't seem to offer that
anymore.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 6:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Some good comments and insights. You echoed more of my own thoughts. I'm
just not excited by the Palm world these days. I had thought about a Sony
PDA, since it does run the Palm OS/software. But I'd heard something about
Sony exiting the PDA arena; I didn't know quite what that meant. From what
you said, it sounds like no more developments in the CLIE line. Is that
correct?

So I guess that leaves HP with the IPAQ line or a Dell Axim. I like Dell--I
have a Dell desktop at home and notebook at work. But I guess I'm a bit wary
of buying a PDA via mail that I didn't have a chance to play with and see
live and in action beforehand.

And I agree about the Pocket PC and Windows Mobile Edition. Whether the OS
is Microsoft, Palm, or someone else, I just care whether it's stable,
reliable, and user-friendly.

But you've given me some good ideas and options to think about.



"Albert Nurick" <albert@nurick.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95D76433BDE0albertnurickcom@24.93.43.121...
> "LPW" <lpw@pobox.com> wrote in news:6MxDd.302$as6.246@fe12.lga:
>
> > I'm looking for a good PDA for business but also multimedia,
> > entertainment, etc. I'd like wireless capability. I'd also like
> > something with a large screen. After reviewing the current line of
> > Palms, I narrowed it down to the T3 or T5. I was leaning toward the T3
> > but got turned off by the slider feature; I like the T5 a bit more,
> > but was turned off by the price and the lack of certain features (no
> > voice recorder, no cradle, etc.). And I'd have to buy an extra card to
> > get wireless.
> >
> > I thought I'd always stay a Palm loyalist, but now am seriously
> > considering an IPAQ or similar unit because of all its built-in
> > features. I still like the Palm and Palm software for its simplicity
> > and ease of use. And I'm not sure how I'd take to Windows Mobile
> > Edition or how stable it is compared to the Palm OS and software. So
> > I'm still on the fence.
>
> I'd been a Pocket PC guy for years, and finally made the switch to the
> Sony TH55. It has everything I wanted; good, big screen, WiFi, a fast
> processor. It even has a camera, which is handy.
>
> As always, I've been looking forward to the TH55's replacement, and see
> nothing in the Palm world that interests me. Sony had been doing most of
> the interesting Palm PDAs, but now they've gone. The platform *still*
> doesn't have multitasking, which makes some things a PITA (For example,
> if I'm surfing the web, then jump to another application then back to the
> web browser, my "back" button's memory is erased, and I can't go
> backwards. Nice.)
>
> The built-in applications still have the absurd one-category-per-entry
> limitation, forcing me to buy a 3rd party PIM so it can sync with Outlook
> and keep my contact organization in place.
>
> I know, I know. PalmOS 6 will fix all this. How long have we been
> promised a modern OS from Palm, where PocketPC has been offering this for
> years?
>
> My jump from Pocket PC to Palm was driven by the impressive hardware of
> the TH55; I found software that was good enough, though not great. Now,
> I see no successor; the T5 looks like a midrange PDA at a high-end price.
> No WiFi? In 2004? Sony's gone. Garmin just introduced a Pocket PC PDA,
> not a new Palm-based one. Does Palm even have any mainstream OEMs
> anymore?
>
> At the same time, Pocket PC keeps getting better. VGA-resolution
> screens, WiFi and Bluetooth even on midrange models, competitive pricing,
> and the emergence of Dell as a supplier make this platform even more
> attractive.
>
> Purists will cry "Bloat!" and "Micro$oft is Evil!" but for those of us
> who use a PDA as a tool, and not a political statement, this simply
> doesn't matter. My last Pocket PC was an HP 567, which was a great unit,
> and the more recent ones are even better, faster, and cheaper. Both HP
> and Dell are rolling out model after model; there are lots of choices.
>
> At this point, my next PDA will be the top-of-the-line Dell, with VGA
> resolution screen, fast processor, WiFi and Bluetooth. I see no reason
> to be loyal to a platform that is losing key OEMs and hasn't kept up with
> the times.
>
> I want the best tool for the job. PalmOS doesn't seem to offer that
> anymore.
>
> --
> Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
> albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
> www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Related resources
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:22:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"LPW" <lpw@pobox.com> wrote in news:QazDd.313$S57.14@fe12.lga:

> Some good comments and insights. You echoed more of my own thoughts.
> I'm just not excited by the Palm world these days. I had thought about
> a Sony PDA, since it does run the Palm OS/software. But I'd heard
> something about Sony exiting the PDA arena; I didn't know quite what
> that meant. From what you said, it sounds like no more developments in
> the CLIE line. Is that correct?

Sony has withdrawn all CLIE products from the US market. Future plans
are unknown. A pity, because the TH55 is a superb piece of hardware.

> So I guess that leaves HP with the IPAQ line or a Dell Axim. I like
> Dell--I have a Dell desktop at home and notebook at work. But I guess
> I'm a bit wary of buying a PDA via mail that I didn't have a chance to
> play with and see live and in action beforehand.

Does your town have Dell kiosks in the malls? Houston does, and I assume
they're all over the place. You can play with the units, then go home,
log onto www.gotapex.com and get a great deal on a Dell PDA.

> And I agree about the Pocket PC and Windows Mobile Edition. Whether
> the OS is Microsoft, Palm, or someone else, I just care whether it's
> stable, reliable, and user-friendly.
>
> But you've given me some good ideas and options to think about.

I *really* wish Palm would produce a viable product, but their in-house
PDA developments have been weak. Sony was their hope; I was kinda hoping
Sony would just buy Palm.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:17:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

The more I read about the Dell Axims, the more intrigued I am. They seem to
have gotten generally good reviews. Unfortunately, here in New York I don't
think we have any Dell kiosks in any of the malls or stores. I've never seen
any. I think Dell used to have some type of arrangement with Sears to
display its products, but that didn't seem to last long.

I like the specs on the Axim 50V, especially with the VGA graphics--most of
the other Pocket PCs have a lower resolution.


"Albert Nurick" <albert@nurick.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95D77DD8B95B6albertnurickcom@24.93.43.119...
> "LPW" <lpw@pobox.com> wrote in news:QazDd.313$S57.14@fe12.lga:
>
> > Some good comments and insights. You echoed more of my own thoughts.
> > I'm just not excited by the Palm world these days. I had thought about
> > a Sony PDA, since it does run the Palm OS/software. But I'd heard
> > something about Sony exiting the PDA arena; I didn't know quite what
> > that meant. From what you said, it sounds like no more developments in
> > the CLIE line. Is that correct?
>
> Sony has withdrawn all CLIE products from the US market. Future plans
> are unknown. A pity, because the TH55 is a superb piece of hardware.
>
> > So I guess that leaves HP with the IPAQ line or a Dell Axim. I like
> > Dell--I have a Dell desktop at home and notebook at work. But I guess
> > I'm a bit wary of buying a PDA via mail that I didn't have a chance to
> > play with and see live and in action beforehand.
>
> Does your town have Dell kiosks in the malls? Houston does, and I assume
> they're all over the place. You can play with the units, then go home,
> log onto www.gotapex.com and get a great deal on a Dell PDA.
>
> > And I agree about the Pocket PC and Windows Mobile Edition. Whether
> > the OS is Microsoft, Palm, or someone else, I just care whether it's
> > stable, reliable, and user-friendly.
> >
> > But you've given me some good ideas and options to think about.
>
> I *really* wish Palm would produce a viable product, but their in-house
> PDA developments have been weak. Sony was their hope; I was kinda hoping
> Sony would just buy Palm.
>
> --
> Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
> albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
> www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
January 9, 2005 12:41:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:17:20 -0500, "LPW" <lpw@pobox.com> removed the
duct tape and proclaimed:

>I like the specs on the Axim 50V, especially with the VGA graphics--most of
>the other Pocket PCs have a lower resolution.

I wonder who bad VGA is on the battery.


--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:07:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:10:33 -0500, "LPW" <lpw@pobox.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for a new PDA to replace my aging Palm IIIC. I've owned Palms
>for several years. But now I find myself questioning whether to stick with
>the Palm line or move to the other side--an IPAQ or other Pocket PC.
>
>I'm looking for a good PDA for business but also multimedia, entertainment,
>etc. I'd like wireless capability.
<snip>

Since 128-bit WEP has been cracked, if you want or need functional
security, you have to go with the TH-55 for a PalmOS (and the European
modem, non-UK non-North American, has BlueTooth as well). However,
production has ceased as Sony re-evaluates the product line.

Also, the Tapwave Zodiac II has a big screen and the ability to use the
Sandisk 128MB/WiFi SDIO card w/ WPA, so you have two good choices. The
latter's better for multimedia and entertainment than any other PalmOS
machine.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
"We're not living in a simulation. We're living in a collaborative SF novel... and now, of course, it's Philip K. Dick's turn. In a back room somewhere, Vernor Vinge and George Orwell are currently arguing about who gets to take over in 2025." (Ross Smith)
!