picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
? you haven't seen or experience i7 yet and you ask for the next gen? probably a asynchronous, optical bus, cold fusion, multi-facet CPU with Oct-Channel DDR5.

mi1ez

Splendid

Damn, beat me to it!

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

hey grandpa, that was sarcasm for you. Maybe you didn't have that in the 80s, who knows.

anyway, I got your information for you now, didn't I? :p

Don't take it like an insult, I'm just bored at work and I was playing with you.

Actually of all of these one of them is not so far fetched. Intel and USC (I think USC mit be U of C) have found a way to put fiber optics into silicon at 32nm if I am not wrong. Imagine the speed of light in a CPU..... :eek:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Forget about i7, or even i8 and i9. What I'm waiting for is Intel's implementation of the Singularity:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/12/justin-rattner-intel-winker

Just don't opt for destructive scanning. Kurzweil says (in The Age of Spiritual Machines) that it's no worse than Star Trek's transpoter, but I got a few bones to pick over that analogy.

"Dammit Jim, I'm just a country doctor, not a machine. What are they gonna do, replace me with a hologram?"

We know from his favorite ephiphet that Bones is an AMD fan.

randomizer

Champion

That's the first Inq article I've read the whole way through in a long time.

i8 .... s in "I ate" ... as in "never got released".

It was a play on words to see whether people interested in AMD's future would comment.

As the stock is now $2.57 a share and tomorrow is looker even worse with the Asian markets crashing today ...

Aaahhh ... the antiacid comments gave me a giggle.

I recently released some new assessment tools here for DET and got called "sonny" by other academics.

I wish they would treat me a bit more seriously ... 44 is considered too young for an academic director.

I still don't get it...

LOL

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I THINK IBM ALREADY HAVE 8 Cores With Cell Processor
Take Lock for IBM Roadrunner S.C or IBM BladeCenter QS22 IBM any search engine .
Unfortunately it impossible to be in PC industry anyway .
We always be stuck in Intel and AMD processors that's based on 70's technology (X86) .

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I didn't either, so I just ran with the Star Trek references that were already made. Bones replaced in a later series by a hologram. If that's not a foreshadowing of the Singularity then what is?

When I'm not laughing at it, the Singularity sort of scares me. Intelligent machines built by intelligent but sloppy people. That's sure to work out.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

Hex (Hogfather, Terry Pratchett) did a pretty good job at calculating things and being "sentient" when all the wizards were blabbering (as usual).

Sometimes, I wonder if the solution to intelligent machines is just to make people dumber.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

That's not hard to do, humanity's collective IQ dropped between the "Dude you got a Dell" campaign and the "I'm a Mac" campaign.

At best, all the Singularity will lead to are elevators really intelligent enough to converse with you, but not intelligent enough to trap people while working on a Stockholm syndrome plan.

Kurzweil was pretty positive that the computer models that were handling the stock market were a step towards the Singularity, but after the crash, people are questioning whether decisions should be made by human insight and not by predictive software.

Read "The Age of Spiritual Machines", it's not as funny as Pratchett, but it has it's own insane charm.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

You do know what the speed of electrical current is, right?

About 2/3rds of c (speed of light in vacuum). And according to Snell's law the speed of light in a glass fiber optic cable is about 35% less than c. So in other words about the same speed in a transmission line or a fiber optic cable :).

I think the big advantage of a photonic computer would be the optical switching speeds, which are much faster than semiconductor switching speeds.

Somebody considerably less lazy than me should go find a link to show this :)