Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Core i8

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2008 11:51:47 AM

Just wondering on the status of the next generation?

Or was this being reserved for AMD?

More about : core

November 11, 2008 11:59:42 AM

I think youd best asl Jean-Luc
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2008 12:57:08 PM

antiacid said:
he's 44...give him a chance, that's like asking your grandpa to setup your TiVo.

googling "intel roadmap" gives you this:

http://pics.computerbase.de/2/0/8/6/2/1.jpg

tick...tock...




Owwwwwwieeee. Careful now, I could have said that would be like asking a 22 year old for any advice about anything at all...............
November 11, 2008 1:17:11 PM

? you haven't seen or experience i7 yet and you ask for the next gen? probably a asynchronous, optical bus, cold fusion, multi-facet CPU with Oct-Channel DDR5.
a b à CPUs
November 11, 2008 1:59:14 PM

Zecow said:
? you haven't seen or experience i7 yet and you ask for the next gen? probably a asynchronous, optical bus, cold fusion, multi-facet CPU with Oct-Channel DDR5.

Damn, beat me to it!
November 11, 2008 4:11:59 PM

DDR5..thats just sooooooooooooooo yeasterday!!!
November 12, 2008 4:51:01 PM

jitpublisher said:
Owwwwwwieeee. Careful now, I could have said that would be like asking a 22 year old for any advice about anything at all...............



hey grandpa, that was sarcasm for you. Maybe you didn't have that in the 80s, who knows.

anyway, I got your information for you now, didn't I? :p 

Don't take it like an insult, I'm just bored at work and I was playing with you.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 13, 2008 4:22:20 AM

Zecow said:
? you haven't seen or experience i7 yet and you ask for the next gen? probably a asynchronous, optical bus, cold fusion, multi-facet CPU with Oct-Channel DDR5.


Actually of all of these one of them is not so far fetched. Intel and USC (I think USC mit be U of C) have found a way to put fiber optics into silicon at 32nm if I am not wrong. Imagine the speed of light in a CPU..... :o 
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2008 4:30:39 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Imagine the speed of light in a CPU..... :o 

You wouldn't even need LED fans or cold cathodes.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 13, 2008 4:35:41 AM

^hehe.

A CPU that pulses blue as it works.

But the cool thing is it isn't pulsing light but pure straight light. Thats still cool.
November 13, 2008 4:57:28 AM

Forget about i7, or even i8 and i9. What I'm waiting for is Intel's implementation of the Singularity:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/12/...

Just don't opt for destructive scanning. Kurzweil says (in The Age of Spiritual Machines) that it's no worse than Star Trek's transpoter, but I got a few bones to pick over that analogy.

"Dammit Jim, I'm just a country doctor, not a machine. What are they gonna do, replace me with a hologram?"

We know from his favorite ephiphet that Bones is an AMD fan.
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2008 8:38:42 AM

i8 .... s in "I ate" ... as in "never got released".

It was a play on words to see whether people interested in AMD's future would comment.

As the stock is now $2.57 a share and tomorrow is looker even worse with the Asian markets crashing today ...

Aaahhh ... the antiacid comments gave me a giggle.

I recently released some new assessment tools here for DET and got called "sonny" by other academics.

I wish they would treat me a bit more seriously ... 44 is considered too young for an academic director.

November 13, 2008 3:51:27 PM

Reynod said:
i8 .... s in "I ate" ... as in "never got released".

It was a play on words to see whether people interested in AMD's future would comment.

As the stock is now $2.57 a share and tomorrow is looker even worse with the Asian markets crashing today ...

Aaahhh ... the antiacid comments gave me a giggle.

I recently released some new assessment tools here for DET and got called "sonny" by other academics.

I wish they would treat me a bit more seriously ... 44 is considered too young for an academic director.



I still don't get it...

LOL


November 13, 2008 4:16:22 PM

I THINK IBM ALREADY HAVE 8 Cores With Cell Processor
Take Lock for IBM Roadrunner S.C or IBM BladeCenter QS22 IBM any search engine .
Unfortunately it impossible to be in PC industry anyway .
We always be stuck in Intel and AMD processors that's based on 70's technology (X86) .
November 13, 2008 4:48:44 PM

I think he meant the coming Intel cpu, the new OICPU812
November 14, 2008 4:22:27 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I still don't get it...

LOL


I didn't either, so I just ran with the Star Trek references that were already made. Bones replaced in a later series by a hologram. If that's not a foreshadowing of the Singularity then what is?

When I'm not laughing at it, the Singularity sort of scares me. Intelligent machines built by intelligent but sloppy people. That's sure to work out.
November 14, 2008 1:11:46 PM

yipsl said:

When I'm not laughing at it, the Singularity sort of scares me. Intelligent machines built by intelligent but sloppy people. That's sure to work out.


Hex (Hogfather, Terry Pratchett) did a pretty good job at calculating things and being "sentient" when all the wizards were blabbering (as usual).

Sometimes, I wonder if the solution to intelligent machines is just to make people dumber.
November 15, 2008 9:14:23 AM

antiacid said:


Sometimes, I wonder if the solution to intelligent machines is just to make people dumber.


That's not hard to do, humanity's collective IQ dropped between the "Dude you got a Dell" campaign and the "I'm a Mac" campaign.

At best, all the Singularity will lead to are elevators really intelligent enough to converse with you, but not intelligent enough to trap people while working on a Stockholm syndrome plan.

Kurzweil was pretty positive that the computer models that were handling the stock market were a step towards the Singularity, but after the crash, people are questioning whether decisions should be made by human insight and not by predictive software.

Read "The Age of Spiritual Machines", it's not as funny as Pratchett, but it has it's own insane charm.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 15, 2008 9:50:44 AM

yipsl said:
"Dammit Jim, I'm just a country doctor, not a machine. What are they gonna do, replace me with a hologram?"


"Warp speed Mr. Sulu"

By that we can asertain that CPT Kirk is a fiber optics fan.

:kaola: 
November 15, 2008 1:30:54 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Actually of all of these one of them is not so far fetched. Intel and USC (I think USC mit be U of C) have found a way to put fiber optics into silicon at 32nm if I am not wrong. Imagine the speed of light in a CPU..... :o 



You do know what the speed of electrical current is, right?

a b à CPUs
November 15, 2008 3:07:31 PM

jkflipflop98 said:
You do know what the speed of electrical current is, right?


About 2/3rds of c (speed of light in vacuum). And according to Snell's law the speed of light in a glass fiber optic cable is about 35% less than c. So in other words about the same speed in a transmission line or a fiber optic cable :) .

I think the big advantage of a photonic computer would be the optical switching speeds, which are much faster than semiconductor switching speeds.

Somebody considerably less lazy than me should go find a link to show this :) 
!