stable voltage for athlon X2 6000+ windsor core

G

whats the max stable voltage for oc'ing this chip i mean My AMD clock says its running 3.4ghz but my voltage is at 1.465 i think, it kinda jumps all over the place when im watching cpuz

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I have the same question. I've got a 6000+ Windsor 125W at 3220Mhz 1.42V on stock cooling. I just got a Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V, so I was hoping to get a little higher. What kind of cooling do you have for 3.4Ghz? Anyway, what is the highest voltage one of these cpu's can get before it becomes dangerous?

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi guys i'm an ex 6000+ owner :). 1.4v is the manufacture's highest voltage... though it depends on the length of time you wish to keep your current builds..

Here's a review that made me want to get 3.5Ghz out of it ;).

Also here's a link for an old thread that may answer either a few or none of your questions.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
So, just to clarify, you will hit a point that you can't stably OC past no matter the voltage? Can high voltage hurt a CPU even if temperatures are within reason? If I get BSOD memory dumps is that the processor?

Thanks for the links. There are some settings that I haven't tweaked yet. What is quick boot, and why did you turn it off?

In speedfan, how did you get names for your fans? My are just "Fan1", "Fan2", ect.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
There will be a point that more voltage wont help overclocking, though in most modest overclockers rigs the first thing you will encounter is a heat/FSB wall or RAM problem :cry:.

High voltage will eventully hurt your CPU, i ran my 6000+ as a tempory rig before my major upgrade.. six months after that 3.5Ghz overclock... 'something' gave out lol so i'd recommend 1.5 vcore as a fairly safe long term max voltage. My 1.6 vcore lasted 6 months though i think twas mobo running high NB voltage that caved in the end :(.

BSOD is generally RAM first - Too tight timings or too higher frequency from stock or maybe even a lil more voltage (+0.1) required.
Then i'd say CPU too little voltage then maybe NB too lil voltage.

I'm not 100% on what Quick Boot doesn't check, but it's fair to say it skips a fair chunk of what a standard Boot would therefore making it quicker to load into windows. However, i found that turning this option off allowed my 3.5Ghz overclock to be accepted, with it on i'd get a BSOD in the middle of the windows load :??:.

As for SpeedFan they were automatically populated for me. Try HWmonitor if SpeedFan isn't being helpful ;).

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Here are the highest stable settings I've been able to get:
CPU Speed: 3300Mhz
Bus Speed: 220Mhz
Multiplier: 15x
Memory Clock Frequency: DDR2 667
CPU to HT Multiplier: 5x
NB to SB Multiplier: 5x
Memory Timings: 4-4-4-10

CPU Voltage: 1.5V
DDR2 Voltage: 2.0V
HT Link Voltage: 1.3V
NB Core Voltage: 1.25V

How do they look? I've raising the core voltage as high as 1.55V, lowering the HT Link to 4x, and loosening the memory timings to 5-5-5-15. What else can I try to get a faster speed? My temperatures are still only low 60's. I'm worried that the DDR2, HT, and NB Voltages are too high since I don't know much about them. I'm on an Asus Crosshair board with more options than I know what to do with.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Have you tried:

Try to find your CPU's max stable FSB first, remember what your minimum NB and CPU voltages you had to achieve them stably. (Unlink your RAM, lower your HT muliplier and lower your CPU multiplier).

Once you've found the max stable FSB your CPU can take, you know theoretically what you can achieve on the standard 15x CPU multiplier. You may even find you can overclock more on a lower multiplier, as I did :).

From here you can slowly work on getting the RAM at DDR 400/DDR2 800 or more. Then you might even be able to set the HT multiplier to it's default multiplier.

Remember that basically :

vcore; affects the speed the CPU's FSB can run at.
NB voltages; affects the Mobo's ability to run higher FSB's and helps stabilize the RAM to the FSB.
HT voltage; allows to a limit, the speed the HT can maintain stability.
RAM voltage; allows the RAM to run at higher speeds with STD timings
or STD speed with tighter timings

If you have carried out your overclock in the method above and still can't get higher, then i'd say you have dodgey RAM or a poor CPU :sweat:. Also the max temps for the CPU are 55-63.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I found my max FSB to be 250Mhz at 12x. Is this good?

With all else at stock or turned down, I used the following settings:
CPU Speed: 3375Mhz
Bus Speed: 225Mhz
Multiplier: 15x
Memory Clock Frequency: DDR2 533
CPU to HT Multiplier: 4x
NB to SB Multiplier: 5x
Memory Timings: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.5V
DDR2 Voltage: Auto
HT Link Voltage: Auto
NB Core Voltage: 1.3V

This setup does not last more than 11 seconds in Everest. The temperatures are within reason. What am I doing wrong?

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Have you tried lowering the CPU multi to 14 and setting the FSB to 243 @ 1.5vcore with HT at x4 and RAM at 667?

If this still doesn't get you to 3.4Ghz which is a very good overclock for the X2 6000 then you will have to overstep the safe 1.5vcore to get any higher :(.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I tried 243Mhz x14 with HT x4 and RAM at 667. At 1.5V, it only got through 1 minute of Everest. I've gone as high as 1.6V (NB at 1.35V) which resulted in 92 minutes. Is this considered stable? Should I leave NB to SB at 5x? Is there anything else to try? Temperatures are still at about 60C max.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
92 mins is stable enough tbh, though have you tried lowering the voltage until just before it's unstable? You may only need 1.53vcore :). A lower vcore is always better ;).

1.6 vcore is a tad high if your looking for it to last over 6-12 months 24/7 :(.

You can always try suicide runs to get higher, though the CPU's req'd vcore is limiting you atm and unless you try overclocking with a newer CPU ie. Athlon II X2 Dual Core 250 then your not going to be able to push the 90nm Athlon X2 much higher.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I actually worked my way up to 1.6V. It wouldn't work much lower than that. Although I won't be using this for more than 6 months or so, I still think that's pretty high for 104Mhz. I think I'll just leave it at 3.3Ghz, 1.45V. Besides, my HT is at 1100Mhz, and my RAM can stay at CL 4. I'll upgrade pretty soon anyway.

Thanks for all of your help on trying to overclock this 6000+. When I get an i7/Phenom II, I'll use what I've learned to get a more significant overclock.