Mixing RAM manufacturers- what to make the same

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi, I have 2GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 RAM and hope to add 2GB of OCZ DDR2 1066 RAM.

I have done some research and found that the timings and voltages also need to be the same.

Corsair - 5-5-5-15-2T, OCZ - 5-5-5-15 (I guess 2T is just not reported for the OCZ?)

Corsair - 2.1V, OCZ - 2.1-2.3V

So i guess i'm sorted, is there any other things that need to be the same?

Cheers

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Also, if they both support dual channel (the OCZ is dual channel, trying to find out if the Corsair is), will dual channel work for both sets?

Cheers

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Voltage, and clock speed are the 2 that I could think of

Volts: a no brainer, don't want to fry a set due to an overvolt.
CS: make sure the clock speed is the same (or really close if OC'ing).

and if sold as a set, its a very good possibility they are dual-channel as well (unless using cheapo RAM's)

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Why look for problems??? Memory is very cheap now. Buy two or four matching sticks of what you want and sell the old memory. Or just buy what you have now used if money is a problem.

davegl1234

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
thanks for the input, i guess your right merman, maybe i'll just buy another set of cosair...i was just trying to save a bit of money (as buying tons of other stuff for my pc) but there doesn't seem to be much in it anyway.

nice one guys

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
You did not understand my comment. Buy new matching memory and sell your old memory.

From Corsair Support:
Topic: Experience in Mixing RAM Revisions and Frequencies: IT WILL WORK!

However, memory IC's continually change; thus the need to come out with a new revision. There is no way we or any one else can guarantee that you will be able to mix modules. And your issue donsg4 is similar but they are not related!

This is a portion of the last post from the Ram Guy

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14422

Why don't you ask if you can still match your memory on this forum. These guys know what they are talking about.