Problem with Powering on

dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I recently built a computer for my friend, but cannot seem to get it to power on.

The original motherboard that was shipped has a bad capacitor, and was DOA, so it was replaced, along with the processor. However, the machine still will not power on when everything is connected. There does not seem to be any power going to anything as the fans do not turn on or anything.

I tested the PSU on another computer and it worked perfectly well. I then tested the case for a bad switch by hooking the components up to a different case, but still there was no power.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for what could possibly be wrong as I am completely out of ideas, and my friend is soon to be out of $900.

The components are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
ASUS P5K-VM Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 512-P3-N861-AR Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
COOLMAX CX-400B 400W Power Supply

I would not try to power that GPU with that power supply.

Is the 4-pin CPU power connected to the PSU?

If you unplug the PSU, then plug it back in, do the fans spin briefly? Just the CPU fan. Is there ever a point when the CPU fan spins at all?

If so, connect a system speaker to the motherboard and see what beeps you are getting.

If you get no power at all to the board, even with just the CPU and memory (nothing else) installed, then the board is either bad or you have shorted it out somewhere... probably on the back side.

Have you bench tested the system by building the MB, CPU, video card and PSU completely outside the case. If the MB is shorted out to the case, the system would not power on and act exactly as you describe.