Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Combining two (slightly) different drive models for RAID 5

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2010 9:44:01 PM

Hi, I am building a new computer, and I am looking for a HD solution that is cost-effective, reliable, and high-capacity. From my research, RAID 5 is a pretty good compromise. I've considered 10k RPM Raptor drives, but they are considerably more expensive and, as far as I know, are not failsafe. I've also considered RAID 0, but this is probably too risky for my primary drive. So, my plan is to go RAID 5 with three fairly low-cost 250GB drives, for a total 500GB capacity. Do you believe this is a good choice?

If so, here's my main question. I already have one drive, a 250GB Western Digital (WD2500KS). I would assume that, ideally, RAID setups should use the same 3 drives. However, searching for this drive on Newegg, I could only find the WD2500AAKS. This is also a 250GB WD drive that seems very similar, and to be honest, I don't know exactly what is different, but I do know that they are not exactly the same. Does this matter? Can I get two of these drives and save myself the cost of the third, or would I be safer simply purchasing three of these? If I can reuse my existing drive, should I set it as the parity drive (if I can even choose this), or would it really not make a difference at all?

Thanks.
January 24, 2010 1:14:25 AM

Good point. I originally thought RAID 5 had the speed advantages of RAID 0 with extra failsafe measures, but it looks like it's actually slower with write speed than RAID 1, making it much less attractive. Since speed is actually a higher priority for me than failure prevention, I may actually just go with RAID 0, using my USB HD to backup frequently. This would also be the cheapest since, ideally, I'll only have to purchase a single 250GB HD. Do you think that using a WD2500KS and WD2500AAKS together for RAID 0 will work well?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 24, 2010 2:11:32 AM

It should work fine; make sure you have a good RAID card and/or soft RAID on your mobo.
January 24, 2010 2:24:31 AM

Best answer selected by theBNich.
m
l
!