Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Confusion..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 18, 2008 11:40:36 PM

I have an Asrock 775Dual-880 Pro motherboard and I have been wanting to upgrade my video card for ages...but i'm not sure which of these video card is the best for me to put into my motherboard. Can anyone please help

My Specs

Motherboard = Asrock 775Dual-880 Pro
Intel (R)
Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
2.99GHz 512MB of RAM
Power Supply = Model LC-8460BTX

but i ordered a Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory...i think that fits my motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video card list...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/vga.asp?Model=775Dual-880Pro

I dont know which of those is the best that would be compatible with my motherboard please help thanks

More about : video card confusion

September 18, 2008 11:48:13 PM

Lol, they don't include any new ones. :na: 

Anything with PCIEx16 will run. Don't worry about it.
September 19, 2008 2:36:39 AM

So what would be the best PCIEx16 that my motherboard can handle...is there anything that i should be looking for specifically?
Related resources
September 19, 2008 2:44:11 AM

josmil1 said:
So what would be the best PCIEx16 that my motherboard can handle...is there anything that i should be looking for specifically?

Basically, anything will run. It's your p4 cpu that will bottleneck graphics card, not the motherboard.
a c 148 U Graphics card
a c 163 V Motherboard
September 19, 2008 9:30:13 AM

Unfortunately, ASRock socket 775 hybrid motherboards (boards with both AGP and PCI-Ex16 graphic slots) have the PCI-Ex16 slot hardwired to run at x4 speeds.

Tom's did an article a while back concerning limiting the bandwidth of the PCI-E slot. I'd imaging newer cards and more demanding games would only limit the card's functionality even further.

I'd recommend keeping what you have now until you can upgrade the motherboard, cpu, and graphics card all at the same time.

-Wolf sends
September 19, 2008 4:39:45 PM

what i was thinkin was at least upgrading to a better card than the one i have now which is a Matrox Graphics Millenium II PCI and it's performance it's really slow and not all that good, i'm not really looking to be a gamer only to play a game like FEAR, Gears of War, and/or Counter Strike: Source
!