New Gaming Rig Cooling/Power Question

AuspexAO

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hi guys. This is my first time posting here! You all seem pretty educated about building new rigs so I have a question about cooling and power for you.

I need to replace my ancient (2001) PC and I decided to go with a not-top-of-the-line-but-close system that I'll build from scratch with parts bought on Newegg. Oddly when I built this system (P4 2.4 CPU and 9800 pro radeon) I barely had to consider power or cooling needs and now I read these forums and shake with the fear of melting parts :)

I'm not made of money so I decided to get a system one step down from the top guys out there. I'll be getting a 8800 GTS instead of a 9 series nVidia and will be settling for a Q6600 on the processor front. That being said I have NO IDEA how much power these parts will slurp up and no clue on how many fans/sinks I will need on the CPU and video card. I also would love a case recommendation. As a pure utilitarian, I prefer it to BE cool not LOOK cool.

If it helps answer power questions I can say that only a single DVD-R drive, a 500GB 7200 WD HD, and maybe a soundblaster card will be sharing the power load. I'm not going RAID or anything.

If you guys could help me that would be awesome. Who would have thought the damned case and some fans would be the hardest choice I have to make?

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The gpu more or less determines the wattage.

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12

Actually will always be lower than recommended. Pick out a Corsair, Antec or OCZ psu.

As for cases, look into Coolermaster 690. Cools the best for the price.