Sign in with
Your question

SSD and 2 HDDs in Raid 0

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2010 3:07:18 AM

Hello, I will be building my computer shortly and doing a fresh install on new hard drives and a new ssd. I will be using my x25-m 160gb g2 ssd for windows 7 as well as apps and games. I plan to set up 2 640gb wd caviar blacks in raid 0 for storage (I will have data backed up on external hd). I am wondering if there are any guides for doing something like this. For example, should I install windows with the ssd only plugged in to begin with, and later, add the 2 hdds in raid 0 or is this even possible? Also, firmware updates. Do these need to be done for installing the os or is it okay to install afterward? Thanks.

Also, motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5.

More about : ssd hdds raid

January 25, 2010 1:34:42 AM

Any help, be it links or explanation, would be appreciated. Thanks.
m
l
January 25, 2010 2:12:04 AM

RomneyPalin said:

should I install windows with the ssd only plugged in to begin with, and later, add the 2 hdds in raid 0 or is this even possible?

You can do that or you can set up your raid in bios (i'm assuming you are using motherboard RAID) before you even install windows. Either way is fine.

RomneyPalin said:

Also, firmware updates. Do these need to be done for installing the os or is it okay to install afterward? Thanks.

Doesn't matter. Either way is fine. It's easier if you have windows already installed to boot into though.
m
l
January 26, 2010 10:52:26 PM

"For storage": this doesn't imply that your files are big. Even program installers may copy faster to and from a single disk than a Raid. The breakeven is around 500kB average file size with current platter technology, and you won't see an improvement at 1MB mean file size. But for video and compressed installers, sure. So I'd suggest to check that before, as Raid makes a couple operations more complicated: backup, data recovery after crashes... and is more expensive.

I have big doubts about the 640GB. As far as I know the biggest platters have 500GB so your 640GB will consist of two platters and hence have a contiguous read of about 105MB/s. If you still don't have the disks, choose some with 500GB per platter which deliver >130MB/s (7200.12, F3, 7k1000c and a few more) since throughput looks important to you. You may still Raid these if your files are big.
m
l
!