Overclocking an E8400 safety check

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Looks like a good overclock for stock cooling ;). Have you tried Orthos small FFT runs yet? Noticed you have an EO stepping (grrr wish i'd waited for it :( ), have you tried knocking down the voltage a tad. Just looks fairly similar to the voltage i used over summer to keep my CO stepping at 3.8Ghz.

It's also a note to beware of next years warmer weather. Wintery overclocks are great :D just don't be suprised if you have to knock her down 200Mhz or so for next year.

dryernoke

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Kewl, i guess im doing something right. any suggestions for an aftermarket heatsink? i bought a Rosewill one on my old E6600 build, and that was a pain to install because i had a 680i motherboard, and it had a little tiny circuit placed convienteny right on the back of the board, so when i tried installing the backplate, it was in the way, so i took my Dremel and just sanded away at the plastic untill it would fit over the little ah heck, since then ive strayed away from the aftermarkets. but other than that that build is still running to this day stable, and i got that E6600 chip when it was top shelf. but if you have any good suggestions for heatsinks id love to hear them.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Have a look on Frostytech, they do good reviews of coolers and you can work out if you want higher performance with noise or very good and quiet ;).

The reviews also show the contents of the mounting systems so you can choose your preferred choice ;). Many aftermarket coolers require you to remove the motherboard however, i think the Sunbeam Core Contact and Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are a 'simple' push on similar to intel's standard coolers.

dryernoke

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, i dont mind the push method of coolers, if its a pretty big cooler, i like it to have a backplate on it, so i dont have to worry about them popping out when i go to Lans.

TRENDING THREADS