Sign in with
Your question

True graphics card power consumption?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2008 4:36:46 AM

What's a good site that has the true power consumption readings? There's so much inconsistency with readings; one site says 350W load and another says 180, another says 150W idle and the other says 40W. I'm just sort of frustrated, I don't know which one to trust.
a c 365 U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 4:55:33 AM

Most sites will give you total system power consumption rather than specifically for the video card because it is easier to measure. All you really need to do is plug in a Kill-A-Watt (Google if interested).

Xbitlabs actually modifies the motherboards to make measurements.
Related resources
September 19, 2008 7:23:29 AM

I like using this, as long as you are not using more than 800W of Power this is nice, and even controls your fans too, and has a nice display, which uses a 5.25" bay. I love it personally. I have a 1200W PSU, in idle or when I am not playing games I use about 400-730W of power, but if I go past 800W, it will only display 800W; which with my system it can be done. I have 3 Velcoraptors, (2) Radeon 4870 X2, Intel 9450, (12) 12cm case fans, OCZ RAM cooler, P5Q3 mobo and 4GB of RAM OC to a 1800 MHz FSB at 3.6Ghz. Also a blueray drive from ASUS, and a DVDRW drive from ASUS. For most people This unit from Zalman is a great way to find your ussage from time you boot to whenever you want to see your whole system ussage Zalman ZM-MFC2 Multi Fan Controller.

You can adjust up to 4 fans in 60 RPM increments, and there are individual thermal sensors too that you can place on say your CPU to give you live feedback to know always what your CPU is running at, and if your are using air cooling it you can set it to auto which you can set the range of what temp you would like to to max out at so it will be automatically variable in speed. The ASUS P5Q3 mobo will do this with software. I hate bloatware. So this is a great way to do the something. I think this is the best creation for a fan controller all in one.

The Zalman ZM-MFC2 allows you to monitor the total PC system power draw if you wish, or it can be left unconnected. The system handles a power range from 30 to 800Watts, and displays that figure in real time, along with a sliding four-stage bar chart.

It's handy, it helps you keep track of how much power your PC is drawing and once you upgrade an old power supply to an Active Power Factor Correction power supply, you'll see the power savings. Other than that, the Wattmeter is interesting for monitoring the power draw differences between a PC sitting at the desktop and gaming in DirectX10, or with a new dual GPU videocard.

The Current Voltage Sensor (CVS) sits outside of the PC, and the plug from this little black box goes into the computer power supply. It plugs into the mains 120-240VAC supply, thus the measurement is a true indicator of total system power draw. A USB cable comes from the CVS and plugs into a special USB PCI bracket that connects to the Zalman ZM-MFC2 fan controller.

September 19, 2008 7:29:27 AM

You could always use a Digital Multimeter and use clips to attach to the lead wires and get a true accurate reading, but knowing which is positive/negitive might be the trick. What would someone do without one. Not too sure why CompTIA requires A+ certified computer techs need to know how to operate these for use to test of the PSU is working and all it's rails, it is time consuming.

a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 8:49:44 AM

Theres also the problem of the strain youre putting on your card, which varies from game to game, or app to app. Furmark is generally considered the highrest demanding benchmark tool around. Heres a good site with alot of cards on it, being tested both in 3DMark03 and furmark. It only gives total system draw, but gives a fair readout, as theyre all done on the same setup, using those two benches. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,660043/Power_consump... Just remember this, furmark is usually more than youll ever see as far as power used by your card, as it stresses your card in ways a game bever will, just like in some cases 3DMark does
September 19, 2008 9:04:46 AM

Quote:
You could always use a Digital Multimeter and use clips to attach to the lead wires and get a true accurate reading, but knowing which is positive/negitive might be the trick. What would someone do without one. Not too sure why CompTIA requires A+ certified computer techs need to know how to operate these for use to test of the PSU is working and all it's rails, it is time consuming.

I agree, there is no need to spend a great deal of money on this. At least thats what i think anyway.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 3, 2010 5:28:19 AM

This is a good resource for the power usage of video cards;
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
It collates and averages all the numbers from various online reviews into comprehensive charts and gives links to all its sources.
!