Sign in with
Your question

8600 GT as a physix card with a 4870 under vista is it possible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2008 9:31:46 AM

Hi one of my friend has an ATI 4870 and from his old rig he has a 8600 GT he just sold the old rig but kept the 8600 GT.He is using 8600 GT as a physix card in Winxp sp2 with no problem but in vista his 8600 GT is disabled and he can't enable it i wanted to know is it possible to do this under vista sp1 or not and if it is possible then how?
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 9:39:31 AM

Salam daryoush jan :) 

If he can run it as a PhysX card in XP 32 then he can do it with VISTA too.
September 19, 2008 10:05:09 AM

Actually he can't.

Vista doesn't support two active, different display adapters. Sadly, if I remember correctly, there should be a workaround.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 19, 2008 10:14:54 AM

Hmm I never thought about doing something like that. I'm looking to throw 2 8800GTs in my 680i and I still have room for one more card. That'd be pretty sweet to throw the 8600GT in there for Physx.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't running Physx on the GPU that you are using to play games decrease performance? GPUs are usually always in the max out range when playing games, so wouldn't that be counter-intuitive to use up resources that can be used for more FPS?
a c 169 U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 10:52:04 AM

stridervm said:
Actually he can't.

Vista doesn't support two active, different display adapters. Sadly, if I remember correctly, there should be a workaround.

are u sure ?
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 11:43:18 AM

I have seen a recent review(Magazine) where just to see if Nvidia's claim that the cards can be used as stand alone Physics cards the reviewer tried to run the Nvidia card (9800GTX) along side the 4870 and to his total lack of amazement it wouldn't do it. So i will go with stridervm on this one but am not so sure if its all down to Vista or if its something to do with Nvidia as well ?
Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 12:07:38 PM

Now this is pretty interesting.
Admittedly, I have not searched for any reviews (if there are any to be found) about this.
I also have been bombarded with the nVidia PR claiming that it could be used as a stand alone PPU.
I will have to google this when I get home from work and see if there are any reviews one way or the other.

I guess this could lay to rest my indecision about stuffing my old GTS 640 in with my 4850's for physiX support :??: 
September 19, 2008 12:44:35 PM

Quote:
One of the current limitations of WDDM is that it does not support multiple drivers in a multi-adapter, multi-monitor setup. If a multi-monitor system has more than one graphics adapter powering the monitors, both the adaptors must use the same WDDM driver. If more than one driver is used, Windows will disable one of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Mod...

So the answer to your question is no, your friend cannot run an HD4870 and an 8600GT at the same time, regardless of the fact that he only want to use the 8600 for PhysX. It would be possible on XP though.
September 19, 2008 1:22:16 PM

homerdog said:
It would be possible on XP though.

Oh the irony!
September 19, 2008 1:29:33 PM

That WDDM info is correct however if the driver was for a physX card there theoreticly wouldn't be a problem. If that's not possible it isn't going to work.
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2008 1:42:14 PM

Yep...it's definitely a Vista vs XP thing. In XP you can run both drivers (different companies, different generations). In Vista, they have to be the same exact driver.

So, he could use the 8600 GT if he were to have other 8/9 series nVidia cards, but not ATI cards.

Sorry. I think I may pick up a cheap 8/9 series card after I go for SLI soon.
September 19, 2008 1:42:58 PM

bydesign said:
That WDDM info is correct however if the driver was for a physX card there theoreticly wouldn't be a problem. If that's not possible it isn't going to work.

There is no such thing as a PhysX only driver as far as I know. NVIDIA doesn't really have a whole lot of motivation to make one...
!