Administrator PW. Never set, but asks for one

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have windows xp Pro.

This morning it asked me for a Password as Administrator.
I never set one and in the past I could just hit Enter and it would
continue. This time it does not do that.

I went then to set the Boot sequence to CD and put in the legitimate copy of
MS Windows xp Pro. It again comes to a screen, after selecting R for repair,
where it wants the PW.

I then tried F8 and Del and got to the BIOS etc and saw there under Boot
that the Administrator had no PW (as I always knew). Since it did not work,
I choose and confirmed a new 4 letter PW, saved and Exit.

When I now again try to Boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD and eventually it
again asks me for the PW, I type in the same 4 letters I just chose, but it
again will not continue when I hit Enter. It asks me whether I forgot the PW
but no help how to continue.

I have usede Windows XP Pro for years and never had such a dilemna. Can
someone throw light on this and how to continue?

Thanks in advance

BTW I could never get to Safe mode and the control panel.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:a82dnfbs1NymP4TeRVn-gA@comcast.com,
Ritter197@comcast.net <Ritter197@comcast.net> had this to say:

> I have windows xp Pro.
>
> This morning it asked me for a Password as Administrator.
> I never set one and in the past I could just hit Enter and it would
> continue. This time it does not do that.
>
> I went then to set the Boot sequence to CD and put in the legitimate
> copy of MS Windows xp Pro. It again comes to a screen, after
> selecting R for repair, where it wants the PW.
>
> I then tried F8 and Del and got to the BIOS etc and saw there under
> Boot that the Administrator had no PW (as I always knew). Since it
> did not work, I choose and confirmed a new 4 letter PW, saved and
> Exit.
> When I now again try to Boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD and
> eventually it again asks me for the PW, I type in the same 4 letters
> I just chose, but it again will not continue when I hit Enter. It
> asks me whether I forgot the PW but no help how to continue.
>
> I have usede Windows XP Pro for years and never had such a dilemna.
> Can someone throw light on this and how to continue?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> BTW I could never get to Safe mode and the control panel.

The password for the BIOS hasn't anything to do with the password for the
OS. See below to remove your password:

Password Problems :
http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Galen, the third recommended site , something like Open Walls has a bad
Trojan. I got a warning from both my NOD32 Virus checker and later from
Comcast.net.

No good.

> In news:a82dnfbs1NymP4TeRVn-gA@comcast.com,
> Ritter197@comcast.net <Ritter197@comcast.net> had this to say:

>> I have windows xp Pro.
>>
>> This morning it asked me for a Password as Administrator.
>> I never set one and in the past I could just hit Enter and it would
>> continue. This time it does not do that.
>>
>> I went then to set the Boot sequence to CD and put in the legitimate
>> copy of MS Windows xp Pro. It again comes to a screen, after
>> selecting R for repair, where it wants the PW.
>>
>> I then tried F8 and Del and got to the BIOS etc and saw there under
>> Boot that the Administrator had no PW (as I always knew). Since it
>> did not work, I choose and confirmed a new 4 letter PW, saved and
>> Exit.
>> When I now again try to Boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD and
>> eventually it again asks me for the PW, I type in the same 4 letters
>> I just chose, but it again will not continue when I hit Enter. It
>> asks me whether I forgot the PW but no help how to continue.
>>
>> I have usede Windows XP Pro for years and never had such a dilemna.
>> Can someone throw light on this and how to continue?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> BTW I could never get to Safe mode and the control panel.
>
> The password for the BIOS hasn't anything to do with the password for the
> OS. See below to remove your password:
>
> Password Problems :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:DYedndlwD8YedYTeRVn-vQ@comcast.com,
Ritter197@comcast.net <Ritter197@comcast.net> had this to say:

> Galen, the third recommended site , something like Open Walls has a
> bad Trojan. I got a warning from both my NOD32 Virus checker and
> later from Comcast.net.
>
> No good.
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:a82dnfbs1NymP4TeRVn-gA@comcast.com,
>> Ritter197@comcast.net <Ritter197@comcast.net> had this to say:

>>> I have windows xp Pro.
>>>
>>> This morning it asked me for a Password as Administrator.
>>> I never set one and in the past I could just hit Enter and it would
>>> continue. This time it does not do that.
>>>
>>> I went then to set the Boot sequence to CD and put in the legitimate
>>> copy of MS Windows xp Pro. It again comes to a screen, after
>>> selecting R for repair, where it wants the PW.
>>>
>>> I then tried F8 and Del and got to the BIOS etc and saw there under
>>> Boot that the Administrator had no PW (as I always knew). Since it
>>> did not work, I choose and confirmed a new 4 letter PW, saved and
>>> Exit.
>>> When I now again try to Boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD and
>>> eventually it again asks me for the PW, I type in the same 4 letters
>>> I just chose, but it again will not continue when I hit Enter. It
>>> asks me whether I forgot the PW but no help how to continue.
>>>
>>> I have usede Windows XP Pro for years and never had such a dilemna.
>>> Can someone throw light on this and how to continue?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> BTW I could never get to Safe mode and the control panel.
>>
>> The password for the BIOS hasn't anything to do with the password
>> for the OS. See below to remove your password:
>>
>> Password Problems :
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
>> all." Sherlock Holmes

First you'd have to take that up with Daniel Petri but it's not a trojan,
it's a "hack tool" that you'd be using and your antivirus doesn't like it
from the sounds of things. As I've used said application a good number of
times I can easily confirm that it's not at all a trojan nor at all
problematic in any version I've ever used.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

If its Administrator Password you want to fiddle with, you might type in a
cmd window
net help user
I've screwed up and changed admin password there when logged on as a user
w/admin priv.

<Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Galen, the third recommended site , something like Open Walls has a bad
> Trojan. I got a warning from both my NOD32 Virus checker and later from
> Comcast.net.
>
> No good.
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:a82dnfbs1NymP4TeRVn-gA@comcast.com,
>> Ritter197@comcast.net <Ritter197@comcast.net> had this to say:

>>> I have windows xp Pro.
>>>
>>> This morning it asked me for a Password as Administrator.
>>> I never set one and in the past I could just hit Enter and it would
>>> continue. This time it does not do that.
>>>
>>> I went then to set the Boot sequence to CD and put in the legitimate
>>> copy of MS Windows xp Pro. It again comes to a screen, after
>>> selecting R for repair, where it wants the PW.
>>>
>>> I then tried F8 and Del and got to the BIOS etc and saw there under
>>> Boot that the Administrator had no PW (as I always knew). Since it
>>> did not work, I choose and confirmed a new 4 letter PW, saved and
>>> Exit.
>>> When I now again try to Boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD and
>>> eventually it again asks me for the PW, I type in the same 4 letters
>>> I just chose, but it again will not continue when I hit Enter. It
>>> asks me whether I forgot the PW but no help how to continue.
>>>
>>> I have usede Windows XP Pro for years and never had such a dilemna.
>>> Can someone throw light on this and how to continue?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> BTW I could never get to Safe mode and the control panel.
>>
>> The password for the BIOS hasn't anything to do with the password for the
>> OS. See below to remove your password:
>>
>> Password Problems :
>> http://kgiii.info/windows/2k-XP/security/password_problems.html
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
>> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
>> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I could never get that far. It asked for PW before that.