Overclocking CPU and keeping RAM stable

Evockzi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
This is the issue I'm currently having, I want to overclock my CPU I haven't been able to draw a line yet where my RAM becomes unstable.

This is my system:

CPU: i7 860 2.8GHZ @ 2.94GHZ (Thing is 750, 860 and 870 are spos to be stock with 133 Bus speeds, and 860 is spos to have 21x multiplier... even though I never touched it, it has a 22x multiplier on the desktop but a 21x multiplier in the bios.)
MB: Asus Maximus Formula III
RAM: 4x2GB Patriot Sector 5 1333mhz Ram, right now the RAM is at 1333mhz
GPU: XFX 5870 @ Stock ( Having trouble overclocking that right now)
PSU: Corsair HX850W
CPU Heatsink: Coolermaster V8, I was planning on putting a higher end FAN in but after installation into the Coolermaster 932 case which wasn't made for P55 boards I decided to never touch the cooler for awhile again. It overhangs over my RAM so I took the ram cooler and just wrapped it around the intake of the cooler and its fits perfect =)

The computer is safe for overclocking here is the heat info:
@ Stock
______
IDLE: 29C
100%: 49C

@ 3.6GHZ
______
IDLE: 34C
100%: 55C

Perfectly acceptable temperatures but problem is my Computer is crashing after about 5 mins within a game but works fine on desktop so I drew the conclusion that the RAM was at fault, I turned the ram down to 1066MHZ but that was actually 1380mhz at the 3.6GHZ overclock but it didn't work apparently. So my question is how can I made the RAM stay at the stock clocks and get my CPU to about 3.4-4.0GHZ?

EDIT: Under Overclock the computer works fine with Prime 95 other then the fact in random 4 of the workers will cut out right after starting but I managed to heat test through other methods.

Solution
If you think that the RAM can't handle the overclock (run Memtest86+ to confirm this), then either lower the overclock or change the FSB:DRAM (or whatever it is now) ratio, effectively running it as close to 1066 as it will get.

Did you bump up your voltages, on both the RAM and CPU, if required? What timings are you using on the RAM?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
If you think that the RAM can't handle the overclock (run Memtest86+ to confirm this), then either lower the overclock or change the FSB:DRAM (or whatever it is now) ratio, effectively running it as close to 1066 as it will get.

Did you bump up your voltages, on both the RAM and CPU, if required? What timings are you using on the RAM?

Solution

Evockzi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I bumped the voltage and it worked but Running a bit too hot, I use more of my GPU power then my CPU power. I had it to 4GHZ at 1.35Vcore and 40C idle and 85C Max which is a tad... well big tad high.