Sign in with
Your question

How do i delete last system restore folder?

Last response: in Windows XP
January 23, 2011 10:00:48 AM

i used the cacls command and was able to delete five of the six unwanted system restore folders! however, the last one keeps giving me the message that it can't be deleted because changelog is in use. should i try safe mode to delete it?
January 23, 2011 12:31:47 PM

goddogx said:
i used the cacls command and was able to delete five of the six unwanted system restore folders! however, the last one keeps giving me the message that it can't be deleted because changelog is in use. should i try safe mode to delete it?

If you're sure your system is secure and you won't need that point, turn System Restore off in Control Panel>System and restart the machine. Create a new Restore Point as soon as you turn it back on - I usually reduce the space from 12% to 5% and that way, although you get fewer points but they change more frequently and as such are of better quality.

m
l
January 24, 2011 5:13:07 AM

Ok, just one more for the fun of it....

Make a new system restore point now.

Open Windows Explorer.

Right-click the system drive, choose "Properties"

(If the "General" tab isn't visible, click it.)

Click "Disk Cleanup"

When Disk Cleanup is finished figuring out how much space it might be able to recover for you, look for and check "System Restore Obsolete Data Stores"
These are dead restore points, good to get rid of them once in awhile.

click the "More Options" tab.

The bottom button, when clicked, will offer to remove all (valid) system restore points except the last one (the one you just made).

Click to your hearts content...

m
l
Related resources
!