Asus 1gb 4850 screen shake problem =/

grainy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Good afternoon everyone, i am in a bit of a dilemma so i have come here in search of help!

I have recently upgraded my graphics card brought the Asus 1gb 4850 and also upgraded my PSU to the TX corsair 750w.

The problem:

After exiting from a game i have been playing for over 15+ mins (Unreal tournament 3 - warhammer online - company of heros) the screen starts to shake, its slightly hard for me to describe the kind of shake however... i will do my best. You can only see the shake on the edges of things such as Icons, text, edges of open windows etc. the only way i have been able to cure the shake is by using the "Auto reconfigure" button on my monitor.

I am using up to date drivers via the official website and the card as running at a lovely 40c idle and hits about <70 on full load.

My PC specs:

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
4gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1gb ASUS Series
Monitor: 22 inch 16:10 LCD
Windows Vista
Mother board: IPIBL-LA (Berkeley)

I am still currently testing what may be causing this at the moment i have a suspision Steam may be the problem with the chat overlay, when it happen a few moments ago just before i typed a message to some one and exited the game the shake happend.

Any input would be most helpfull

grainy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Yeah they are running at the same resolution, im actually thinking it may be a heat issue now, it seems the shakey ness stops within 30 seconds after closing the game to the desktop. even tho my card is running cool and so are my cores.

I thought it may be something inbetween my card and PSU causing the problem.

Im going to buy a new fan tomorow that will extract the hot hair out the back of the PC, see if that improves anything.

I really dont know what else to do :(

Thanks for the help btw!

Sus-penders

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
It could also be a monitor problem. If you can, I'd borrow another monitor for a while, plug it in and see if you get the same problem. My old 19" CRT used to give me all kinds of craziness, so that's another avenue you should pursue.

Also, try downloading rthdribl here http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ . It's a small little stand alone programme that runs these 3d balls that float around (it's actually pretty nifty!), and that also stresses the graphics card a bit and is useful for testing purposes. Run that, set the settings to max and see how it looks....

grainy

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
I think i may have found the problem! (Well i hope i have anyway!).

I was swapping the VGA to DVI connectors around this morning since i have a good amount of them, and noticed the connection going into my monitor doesnt sit all that firmly (One of the thumb screws wont actually screw in), the connection was slightly out of place and after sitting it correctly in place i havent seen the shake that i mentioned.

Thanks for that rthdribl program, its a great bit of kit! helped me alot so far, ill keep running tests and see if it comes back, so far it seems to have been a dodgey monitor connection!.

Thanks for the help so far everyone!