P5Q-EM - Installing Vista

RogueChampion

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Hello All,
I am new to this website and this is my first ASUS Mobo. I like it so far but am having some problems too.

I have a P5Q-EM Mobo with an Intel E7300 CPU, running 4GB of Corsair RAM, and a Western Digital 320GB SATA HDD.

I first tried to install Vista Ultimate and it came to a blue screen (not the BSOD) it was a GUI screen and then it froze. I could use my mouse, but there was nothing to click on. So after that I installed Ubuntu and that worked perfectly fine and it still does. After that, I tried to boot from another Vista Ultimate disc with the same result. I am not running any other graphics card than the X4500 HD, but that should be fine with Vista. I cannot find anyone else with this same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have ran memtest twice and everything is fine and my overclocking is disabled.

Thanks

Josh

Vista Installation disc sometimes has problems loading up for install with a SATA DVD drive. Also, I have used a windows XP CD to format a new WD HD, then installed Vista without problems. HTH.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Short and sweet...try installing Vista with only 1GB or 2GB of ram installed. Update to SP1, install remainder of RAM, and that should work.

RogueChampion

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
thanks all... what we did was install XP and upgrade to Vista from XP. From there I reinstalled Ubuntu and everything works great. Will run some stress tests for a day or so to ensure everything is stable. Thanks alot.