Partition Management Woes

mobiusgear1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
So I want to create another partition because I want to try another linux distro for a triple mega boot situation. Is it smart? No, but I dont want to delete my windows 7 or my Ubuntu partition. I have attached an image of my disk manager under windows 7. The problem is that I have already used 4 primary partition and made an extended partition. So I am wondering...

1) Can I, and if so how, create another extended/primary partition at the end of my drive on the 15GB unallocated space?

2) Is there any way to remove the primary property from the 400GB partition? That partition is just storage and doesnt need to be primary.

diskmngmnt.jpg

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4364/diskmngmnt.jpg

r_manic

Administrator
Windows 7 (or Vista) allows you to create a new partition, even by shrinking existing ones. It should be relatively easy for you in this case as you already have unallocated space. Right-click on the unallocated block, then choose create partition or something similar.

In any case, I think you're better off using a third-party program like GParted to create the new partition. I'm not sure if Windows 7 or Vista can create FAT32 partitions, the format you need to properly install Linux on.