When I start "Remote Assistance" I get a message headed "MS Internet
Explorer". It reads "A program could not start. Please try again". I OK this
message and go ahead with the application with my friend with whom I am in
contact by MSN Messenger. We get to the stage where I agree for him to see
my computer but nothing happens. We can do it fine in reverse. I see his
desktop on my PC with no trouble. Any ideas what could be the problem
please?

Tell your friend to check that you are allowed past his/her firewall. he/she must add your IP Address to his/her Trusted Zones.