Sign in with
Your question

Freeze (lag) in mouse movement when using mouse button + CTRL or SHIFT

Last response: in Windows 7
September 5, 2011 6:21:15 PM

Hello,

I noticed something strange: There's a lag in windows when I hold and drag the mouse for selection rectangle, but only when I keep CTRL or ALT or SHIFT pressed along with the mouse button, there's a lag even with this simple rectangular marquee in windows, the movement gets frozen every 2-3 seconds.
And when I hold and drag for rectangular marquee with mouse button only, there's no lag and it's smooth as it should be.

Same behavior in 3D softwares: lag when using mouse button + ctrl or alt or shift, and NO LAG when using mouse button only

CTRL, SHIFT and ALT are the cause!

But the problem now is how to fix that? I want to use the alt or shift or ctrl key along with the mouse in my 3D apps, it's so convenient and useful.

I disabled tablet input service and it doesn't help

Anyone has a suggestion?

Thank you
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2011 6:32:54 PM

We could use some more info on the mouse and keyboard. It sounds like a driver issue to me. Are you using the latest software for your peripherals? How about chipset drivers?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2011 12:15:48 AM

Similar issues occur with moving windows when the video driver is not installed correctly, complete a windows update, and update your video driver.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 10:30:35 AM

thank you both for suggestions, I'll give it a try
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2011 4:15:30 AM

Any luck?
m
l
September 7, 2011 9:25:19 AM

I tried these suggestions and it didn't resolve the problem unfortunately... Thank you everybody
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2011 2:43:19 AM

Just try a full windows update along with your optional updates, could be a framework issue.
m
l
September 8, 2011 11:49:58 AM

well combat wombat, I want to thank you for your help, you've been patient, and it's certainly a good quality of behavior, may God keep this with you all the time.
Don't bother anymore about this, I'll be fine (lol)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 9, 2011 12:01:20 AM

The wombat does not give up.. rofl @ you...

"I think I found the cause of the lag effect in 3D viewports.
Since I saw that it was not 3dsmax related only, but also in vue app., I began to think that something was wrong with windows and the mouse.
And I really think now that it is the cause."

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1199957&mpage=1&pr...

What mouse are you using?
m
l
September 9, 2011 11:49:17 AM

lol, this my post on evga forum
Finally, my problem was fixed. A evga sr-2 user gave me a tip that it was the eleet monitoring software that was causing this lag. And it worked, I just avoid running it when using my pc.
My pc is working well now.
Thank you combat wombat, I hope I could help you in the future
m
l
!