Sign in with
Your question

case fan help

Last response: in Components
November 12, 2008 4:33:56 PM

I just got the thermaltake TT9025 90mm case fan.it has the 3 pin connector and the power supply adapter. I think my motherboard intel d915gag has a 4 pin fan connector. would it be best to connect straight to the motherboard or the power supply?

More about : case fan

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2008 4:47:15 PM

it will work both ways just plug it to 4 pin connector on the motherboard
motherboard will give you option to control the fan speed
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2008 5:24:04 PM

Your option! As alvine pointed out it can work either way.
Related resources
November 12, 2008 6:17:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. One other question the fan has 2 arrows on it
<-- and l I know what the <-- arrow is for but what is the other arrow for?
V
As you can guess it came with no instructions.
November 12, 2008 6:49:00 PM

one pin is power, one pin is ground one pin is speed sense the 4th pin is for pulse modulation speed control. 3 pin will work on a 4 pin post the bios will not be able to do the speed control.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2008 6:58:02 PM

Air flow direction and fan blade rotation direction.
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2008 12:35:00 AM

rick_criswell,

Thanks for the explanation. I knew about the air flow direction but I never figured out the fan blade rotation. I learn something new here every day!
November 13, 2008 5:06:24 AM

Thanks for the help. Got it installed with little trouble. Had the remove the air duct from the cpu fan to be able to put the nuts on. I did notice that when the cpu usage goes up the temp for the cpu hovered between 60 & 61C. Now it stays at 58 or 59C so a slight improvement there. Off topic by why does flash videos on firefox cause the cpu useage on my P4 to go to 60 or 70%? these same videos on ie 7 only use 12% at the most. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash didn't work. Then tried reinstalling firefox again nothing worked.
!