Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seagate hard drive failing

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2010 12:16:31 PM

I just recently bought and installed a new 1TB Seagate hard drive and every couple minutes/hours it fails and then comes back (sometimes). My other two 1TB hard drives work fine, even if I switch port/cords.. it still happens. Any reason for this and is there a way to stop it from failing??

Best solution

a c 329 G Storage
January 25, 2010 12:22:18 PM

Go to the Seagate website and download their disk testing utility package, Seatools. They have several versions. I prefer the one you use to burn your own CD-R containing all the tests. Then you put this disk in your optical drive and boot from it. It loads a mini-DOS into RAM and gives you a set of menus to run all tests completely independent of your regular OS (Windows). Run the tests and note down any error results it reports. It may offer to try to fix a few things for you. Then discuss with Seagate Tech Support - they can advise whether the unit should be returned for replacement under warranty.
January 25, 2010 12:32:51 PM

Paperdoc said:
Go to the Seagate website and download their disk testing utility package, Seatools. They have several versions. I prefer the one you use to burn your own CD-R containing all the tests. Then you put this disk in your optical drive and boot from it. It loads a mini-DOS into RAM and gives you a set of menus to run all tests completely independent of your regular OS (Windows). Run the tests and note down any error results it reports. It may offer to try to fix a few things for you. Then discuss with Seagate Tech Support - they can advise whether the unit should be returned for replacement under warranty.

Thanks, I'll give it a go and post my results.
Related resources
January 26, 2010 5:33:22 AM

Turns out the problem was the Power supply, I replaced it and the failures have stopped.

Again, thanks for your advice!
a c 329 G Storage
January 27, 2010 2:12:19 PM

Yay for you, deadhero! Another successful result!
February 3, 2010 1:03:13 AM

Best answer selected by deadhero.
!