Digital TV recording playback questions

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 23, 2004 2:23:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I use a V-Gear capture card to record TV from a standard definition set top
box using composite cable (I find it gives better picture than S-Video
cable), then I play back to the TV with an ATI 5200 graphic card and S-Video
cable, setting everything to highest quality. While the playback looks the
same as the original on the PC screen, it looks not as good as the original
on the TV screen. My TV is a Hitachi rear projection 130cm. The original
picture is great direct from the set top box, and I expected the recording
to be exactly the same as the original as I record it as in DVD-PAL format
(which seems to be the best the capture card can produce). The playback on
the PC screen is not that crisp when blown up to the full LCD screen, but
the computer guy said it is the best it can get.

Can somebody tell me when it is possible to get crisp DVD pictures on an LCD
screen, and, can the recording playback on the TV screen the same as the
original (or is my graphic card still not good enough).
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:30:11 AM

"Herman Wong" <herman@prestigefc.com.au> wrote in message
> I use a V-Gear capture card to record TV from a standard definition set
top
> box using composite cable (I find it gives better picture than S-Video
> cable), then I play back to the TV with an ATI 5200 graphic card and
S-Video
> cable, setting everything to highest quality. While the playback looks
the
> same as the original on the PC screen, it looks not as good as the
original
> on the TV screen. My TV is a Hitachi rear projection 130cm. The original
> picture is great direct from the set top box, and I expected the recording
> to be exactly the same as the original as I record it as in DVD-PAL format
> (which seems to be the best the capture card can produce). The playback
on
> the PC screen is not that crisp when blown up to the full LCD screen, but
> the computer guy said it is the best it can get.
>
> Can somebody tell me when it is possible to get crisp DVD pictures on an
LCD
> screen, and, can the recording playback on the TV screen the same as the
> original (or is my graphic card still not good enough).

Guess: Selection of codec is not ideal. Some codecs don't compress as well
as others. I think they all compress.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 2:57:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I have since adjusted the recording setup, maximizing the quality setting,
and the video bitrate to 10,000, then the recordingly and playback quality
became a lot better, but still only about 90% of the original picture on the
TV direct from the set top box.

I just wonder, when people use those DVD recorders, are the playback exactly
the same as the original on TV, assuming best picture quality is set.

news:D bt4d.333347$Oi.318692@fed1read04...

!