Sign in with
Your question

Passport external hard drive as storage only

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2010 5:10:10 PM

Hello
I am using the passport as a storage device only. I have copied many documents and backed up my system. I don't know why my hard drive only has 45 GB used but the passport showed 190 GB saved on it. Is it not just updating the data? I would imagine that if it sees the same thing it isn't going to copy it as new data, just updated (as in changes)
January 26, 2010 9:30:10 AM

Quote:
Check the properties of external hard drive and see the used space and unused space.

Thanks for you reply. I did check the properties That's how I got the 46 GB (used) number on the hard drive and the 190 GB (used) on the Passport. What I don't understand is how there can be almost 5 times the used space on the Passport than there is on the hard drive.
m
l
January 26, 2010 11:50:13 AM

pdougherty1 said:
Hello
I am using the passport as a storage device only. I have copied many documents and backed up my system. I don't know why my hard drive only has 45 GB used but the passport showed 190 GB saved on it. Is it not just updating the data? I would imagine that if it sees the same thing it isn't going to copy it as new data, just updated (as in changes)

Check the percentage of space used by the recycle bin on the external hdd, and whether system restore is turned on for the drive, both of these could conceivably use up a good deal of space. If you're using Windows Vista/7 is your system using the external drive for doing system backups?
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2010 2:42:07 PM

Yes it is using the external drive for doing system backups. Should I have set it for something else
m
l
January 27, 2010 1:14:44 AM

Thank you very much. I will try that
m
l
!