Intel Q6600

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hello great community,
i want help to overclock my pc.

I have a p4sts asrock mobo and a q6600 cpu with ddr2 ocz 1066mhz i overclocked it to 3.0ghz thru the windows tuner came with asrock but in benchmarks i take lower than when it was at 2.4. When i overclock it from bios i take up the cpu frequency from 266 to 300 lets say and it becomes from 2.4 to 2.8 it becomes slower coz of the ram going down causing them to 333 than 533 (ddr1066).when i change the ram frequency to the new one given lets say 581 the computer doesnt open up. I suppose that its because of my ram can only ran upto 1066 and 581 its more as is 581x2=1162 ? so if i change my ram to ddr3 1333mhz will i be able to do that and take up my cpu accordingly to 3.0ghz? Did i understand well?

Learn to use the BIOS when overclocking. You just do not know what the Windows utility is doing.

Hitting 3.0 GHz should be a piece of cake with a Q6600. In the BIOS, set your memory multiplier to 2.0. Set your FSB freq to 333 MHz. You might need to increase CPU core voltage a little.

For anything more:

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

This should be your second stop. You need to know something about thermal management or you can fry your CPU. It's actually kind of difficult to fry a modern CPU, but it is possible.
Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Third stop will be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

For anything higher than about 3.0 GHz, you will need better cooling. Here are two under $50 heatsinks that are pretty popular:
Sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
Xigmatec Dark Knight
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

They both require a somewhat different approach to applying thermal compound.
Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

And they are pretty large, so they might not fit inside your case.

Go through the first two threads. Do not do anything until you have a good idea about what you are trying to do. Once you have definite questions (you will, you will :)), come back and ask.

Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary. Because of all the variables, you may not do as well as someone else with a similar system. Or you might do better.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hello jsc ,
Thanks for your reply.
I have studied well what you have said but still my queries have not been answered.
My Q6600 as now works like this=9.0x266 at high temp 89C!!!! But heatsink
First i bought this :

COOLERMASTER RL-M4A-E7E3-GP AQUAGATE DUO VIVA S775 Watercooling kit for vga and cpus that is compatible with my cpu.

You may find it at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RLQOQ6

I need to buy the liquid now anyway.
My query is that when i put that on the heat should go down enough.
Then i will go to bios and increase the fsb to 333 so Cpu multiplier 9.0x333=29997mhz but my ram can only run upto 1066 mhz so i have to change my ram to ddr3 1333 to be able to run the new fsb .
Because 333mhzx4=1332mhz my ram are the ocz reaper 1066.

Am i right?

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Yes, set the FSB to 333 MHz.

Leave RAM on AUTO in the BIOS, starting out.

Enable SpeedStep:
this should oscillate the CPU cores
between 333 x 6 = 2.0 GHz (when idle)
and 333 x 9 = 3.0 GHz (when busy).

We have a very similar setup with the i975X chipset,
Q6600 + 2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-1066 Dominators.

With the above settings, we see a DRAM Frequency of 416.9
and an FSB : DRAM ratio of 4 : 5 (using CPU-Z nomenclature).

This machine is very stable: runs all day without halting.

If you don't have it installed, download CPU-Z
to confirm your chosen settings.

With that working baseline, you can then do further fine-tuning.

On another workstation -- P5Q Premium and Q9550 + 16GB Corsair DDR2 --
we upped the FSB to 400 MHz with no problems whatsoever. Again,
we left RAM on AUTO and, on the advice of RamGuy at Corsair, we
upped the Northbridge voltage to the high end of the SAFE range.

These latter settings produced a 1 : 1 FSB : DRAM ratio (aka "synchronous") --
also extremely stable workstation.

I just can't remember if the Q6600 will work with FSB = 400 MHz,
however: check around the Internet, or perhaps someone else can
jump in here to answer that question for us.

I hope this helps: GOOD LUCK!

MRFS

OK.

First, you cannot use DDR3 RAM in a board designed for DDR2 RAM. And I am one of those who believes that a Core2 processor cannot take full advantage of the capabilities of DDR3 RAM anyway.

Second, you have something wrong with your temperatures or your monitoring software. I can reach 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler with load temps of around 50 55 C. And I can run at 3.6 GHz on air with P95 load temps of 61 - 66 C. Granted, that's with a better than average cooler (ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme) in a better than average case (Antec 900).

Third, memory settings. Your DDR2-1066 RAM is more than fast enough. You are confused about frequencies and definitions. Different BIOS' and motherboard makers define terms a little differently. Compare the eVGA 680i BIOS with the Gigabyte P45 BIOS for example.

Definition time (attention purists, I'm simplifying a little :)):
Core2 CPU's use a frontside bus (FSB). The FSB is a thing with two main characteristics: speed which is usually defined in MHz and width which in the Core2's is 64 bits wide. We are concerned with the speed.

Using the Q6600 as an example, the FSB frequency is 266 MHz. The matching DDR2 memory clock for that frequency is 533 MHz (266 X 2). DDR2 memory transfers two chunks of data for each bus cycle.

The FSB clock is 1066 MHz (266 X 4). The bus is "quad pumped". It transfers 4 chunks of data into and out of the CPU each cycle.

Now, if you increase the FSB frequency to 333 MHz, the corresponding memory clock is 667 MHz and the FSB clock is 1333 MHz.

I always run my memory at 1:1. That is the FSB freq to memclock ratio is one to one. That means that the memclock is twice the FSB freq. It's a little confusing. Running memory slower costs performance. Running memory faster does not give you much if any real world performance increase and it can lead to higher instability.

And while I am talking about memory, let me say, "There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM." Got your attention now, yes? :) DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I cannot begin to explain how much bad luck I've had with software overclocking tools and how easily I reach moderate overclocks with just a little bit of research and manual settings.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Good point, Rodney: I agree 100%!!

A big part of the problem is the lack of standard nomenclature.

"FSB" can either refer to the raw clock speed of the Front Side Bus,
or to the effective data rate, which is FOUR TIMES that raw clock speed
(read "Quad Pumped").

Similarly, "DRAM Frequency" can either refer to the raw clock speed of
the RAM subsystem, or to the effective data rate, which typically is
TWO TIMES that raw clock speed (read "Double Data Rate").

That's why we try to encourage Users to adopt the nomenclature
used in CPU-Z: it has become a de facto standard.

Also, there is also a lot of confusion concerning the issue of
voltages for the FSB, the DRAM and also the Northbridge
(Memory Controller Hub), particularly when all 4 DIMM slots
are populated.

In general, we try to steer new users by helping them realize
that quality RAM is probably capable of oscillating approximately
TWICE AS FAST as the FSB: so, it makes sense to focus
on increasing the CPU core speed, and leave the DRAM setting
on AUTO in the BIOS -- starting out.

Lastly, some will argue that a 1 : 1 FSB : DRAM ratio is ideal,
but users also need to know that Intel chipsets function just fine
with an asynchronous ratio e.g. 2 : 3, 4 : 5 etc.

Of course, there are those who want to explore the
"Outer Limits": but, it's generally true that such users
don't post requests here for help with extreme over-clocking
aka "The Bleeding Edge" :)

Thanks, everyone!

MRFS

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks very much and i appreciate your all information. As i want to succeed a good overclocking to my pc, i will confuse you a little more to understand things better feel confident and encourage my machine approprately.

Well,
As now i have the mobo i said,asrock p4st and cpu q6600 and 2gb (2x1gb 1066mhz) with passmark performancetest 7.0 i take only 1056 around there and other times only 956 thats very low.
Anyway. The watercooling i sent isnt good? i bought it and im waiting for zalman liquid found here:

http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/show_per.phtml?id=PER.912213

If i increase the fsb from 266 to fsb 333 i will succeed 3.0ghz yes this i did it now without any changes to cooling with high temp and i get even lower to passmark test i dont know. is this because of the temperature ? or is this the dram frequency going from 533mhz to 333 ?

isnt slower if the ram goes to 333 instead of 533? if i will change the ram to dd3 which is supported and change it to the new given accordingly lets say 581 or something there wouldnt that be faster?

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
l3onta5 you are to be commemded. You are one of the few posters in a long time to actually follow through and thank the folks who post and provide so many of the good tech answers here. Bravo to you.

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Im studying computer science im only 22 thoug but i ive built many pcs and done many things but i want to be an expert and improve my knowledge however im a starter to overclocking i hope my queries to be filled up with answers ideas and people to deal with !

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hello there,

I want to overclock my pc to 3.0 ghz as i told if you are bored dealing with me answering question or if you dont have the time to let me learn things from you i want you please if you can and prefer to tell you my specs what i have and what do you suggest the best to succeed the maximum of my pc at least modearate 3.ghz. running all smoothly and hitting scores to benchmarks feeling that my pc is giving his best.

Thanks

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you but i know this. My question is when i watercool it and put the fsb to 333 with multiplier 9.0 it will go to around 3.0ghz. Then my dram frequency will go down to 333 mhz coz of the fsb it will be 667 mhz instead of now that they run at 533mhz (1066). If im doing all this to overclock the pc and lose performance from the ram what do i gain ?

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hello all again,

After a while i managed to overclock my pc. I will tell you my full specs and what i notice from my system. I appreciate your help please..

My pc:
Mobo : Asrock P45ts with chipset intel p45
Cpu : Intel Quad 66600
Ram: 2x1gb Ocz Reaper 8500 1066 mhz totaly 2gigs in dual channel.
Psu: Apevia 550W
Graphics card: Ati 4670
Watercooling ystem: Coolermaster Aquagate duo viva.

I have put the coolermaster on . I have to mention that is a quite good and simple watercooling system. I overclocked the cpu by increasing the fsb to 333 and multiplier to 9 giving 3.0ghz with Vcore at 1.2625 initially and now 1.2675 at idle temps around 29 and busy maximum 45-50 if Vcore at 1.2625 i get less.

So it seemed stable for few days. After i have tested 2-3 times with Passmark Performance test which is a general system benchmark the pc restarted. Then i tried Prime95 and restarts again .

Generally I have managed to collect some errors that might help you figure out what i can do.

Prime95
--------------
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file

And from bluescreens i collected these random errors:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Memory Management
IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL
DRIVER-IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL (DXGMMS1.SYS)

I only took it at 3.0ghz with vcore max i set until now at 1.2675 and max temp i get is 45 - 50 sometimes.

Whats going on? Isnt little enough for Q6600 ?

* In windows 7 Cpu showed 7.2 overclocked at 3Ghz..

Please help as im all ears.. I know that overclocking isnt so easy from system to system it differentiates but i dont know what to do to stabilize it.

What were you running in Prime95?

Generally a failure in running small fft's points to the CPU. Maybe you need to increase the CPU voltage a little.

Running anything else pretty much indicates that you have a memory problem. Is your memory set to recommended factory values? If so relax the timings a little.

l3onta5

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hi thx for your reply...

I will talk you a little about this situation to help me out if you can.

I have the Q6600 running with watercooling at 40 C average busy and idle at 2.8GHz (9.0x310) increased only fsb and everything on Auto.
I would like to to take it to 3.2 Ghz without screwing it up and taking me long away.. I think i can do it but i cant take it stable..
When i take it up to 3.0Ghz by increasing fsb to 333mhz in Prime95 small ffts have the error Rounding smaller than 0.5 in the other harder tests BOSD appears with errors IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL or the pc may restart instantly. I tried increasing the voltage slowly until 1.35 nothing happens.. I ve put NB voltage to High and vcore to 1.2625 and then i noticed again that the worker 2 (3rd Core) faces only fatal error the other seems ok in an hour testing... What can i do ? Shall i increase SB voltage to High and GLL also PLL ? Everything to be changed to High?

Note my Ram are two dimms x 1Gb 1066Mhz with 9-9-9-25 timings (OCZ REAPER) .

How timings affect these?

I am using only DDR2 RAM in my Core2 boards, so I'm afraid that I cannot help you with DDR3 timing.

The Q6600 should be very easy to get running at 3.0 GHz. That you are not able to seems to point to a memory problem

TRENDING THREADS