Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital Black in RAID???

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2010 8:06:34 PM

I read or heard somewhere that the Western Digital Black Series drives should not be used for RAID configurations, is this true?
a b G Storage
January 25, 2010 11:36:27 PM

Here's some info on WD RAID HDDs. WD says the RE series are for RAID. Black HDDs have the same warranty, but no TLER. Of course the RE series HDDs are a few $ more than the Black. You might google for more info on whether or not TLER can be activated on Black HDDs - no guarantees.
m
l
January 26, 2010 10:02:02 PM

Also remember that Raid-0 is slower than a single disk when using current 7200rpm technology, at least for booting and to load applications. Sensible only for big pictures, video...
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 26, 2010 10:06:11 PM

As treefrog stated, the main problem that I have read about, and worry about with WD drives (non-raid edition) is the TLER problem.
m
l
January 27, 2010 2:10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I did some more digging and I confirmed my fears. Here's a heads up for anyone with a WD Black drive. If you're using Win7 make sure that you adjust your power saving settings to "Never" shut off hard drives. I did not realize that mine was set to shut off on 20 minutes and I can tell you from frustrating experience that it caused a lot of problems. I though I was well on my way to formatting and re-installing my OS, but after changing that setting my PC is running like it was the day I built it.

Some of the problems I was having;

System lockups
Extremely long load times for right click menus
BSOD's
Long load times of apps and documents

Since changing my settings I have not had a single one of these occurrences.

m
l
a b G Storage
January 27, 2010 2:20:25 AM

Another little-known, but troublesome default setting exposed. Thanks rocknblogger!
m
l
February 3, 2010 3:05:15 AM

Your very welcome. I'm new to these forums and I joined precisely because of the great info I've found here. Just trying to pay it forward :) 
m
l
February 3, 2010 4:49:00 AM

Well this is good to know. Since I remember my buddy talking about it just a few weeks ago when he build his new system. I just bought some of those WD 500GB Black. I was about to go exchange them out. Glad I shouldn't have to.
m
l
February 10, 2010 12:45:51 AM

bdestroyer8418 said:
Well this is good to know. Since I remember my buddy talking about it just a few weeks ago when he build his new system. I just bought some of those WD 500GB Black. I was about to go exchange them out. Glad I shouldn't have to.

Just remember that you can't run them in RAID if you decide you want to do that at a later date.
m
l
June 29, 2012 10:18:46 PM

Rocknblogger said:
Thanks for the reply guys. I did some more digging and I confirmed my fears. Here's a heads up for anyone with a WD Black drive. If you're using Win7 make sure that you adjust your power saving settings to "Never" shut off hard drives. I did not realize that mine was set to shut off on 20 minutes and I can tell you from frustrating experience that it caused a lot of problems. I though I was well on my way to formatting and re-installing my OS, but after changing that setting my PC is running like it was the day I built it.

Some of the problems I was having;

System lockups
Extremely long load times for right click menus
BSOD's
Long load times of apps and documents

Since changing my settings I have not had a single one of these occurrences.

I'm here to thank you for your suggestion I never thought windows set hdd spin down in 20 mins by default especially on desktop...
m
l
!