Western Digital Black in RAID???

Rocknblogger

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I read or heard somewhere that the Western Digital Black Series drives should not be used for RAID configurations, is this true?

Rocknblogger

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks for the reply guys. I did some more digging and I confirmed my fears. Here's a heads up for anyone with a WD Black drive. If you're using Win7 make sure that you adjust your power saving settings to "Never" shut off hard drives. I did not realize that mine was set to shut off on 20 minutes and I can tell you from frustrating experience that it caused a lot of problems. I though I was well on my way to formatting and re-installing my OS, but after changing that setting my PC is running like it was the day I built it.

Some of the problems I was having;

System lockups
Extremely long load times for right click menus
BSOD's
Long load times of apps and documents

Since changing my settings I have not had a single one of these occurrences.

bdestroyer8418

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Well this is good to know. Since I remember my buddy talking about it just a few weeks ago when he build his new system. I just bought some of those WD 500GB Black. I was about to go exchange them out. Glad I shouldn't have to.

Rocknblogger

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Just remember that you can't run them in RAID if you decide you want to do that at a later date.

moofachuka

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

I'm here to thank you for your suggestion I never thought windows set hdd spin down in 20 mins by default especially on desktop...