Western Digital Black in RAID???

I read or heard somewhere that the Western Digital Black Series drives should not be used for RAID configurations, is this true?
9 answers Last reply
More about western digital black raid
  1. Here's some info on WD RAID HDDs. WD says the RE series are for RAID. Black HDDs have the same warranty, but no TLER. Of course the RE series HDDs are a few $ more than the Black. You might google for more info on whether or not TLER can be activated on Black HDDs - no guarantees.
  2. Also remember that Raid-0 is slower than a single disk when using current 7200rpm technology, at least for booting and to load applications. Sensible only for big pictures, video...
  3. As treefrog stated, the main problem that I have read about, and worry about with WD drives (non-raid edition) is the TLER problem.
  4. Thanks for the reply guys. I did some more digging and I confirmed my fears. Here's a heads up for anyone with a WD Black drive. If you're using Win7 make sure that you adjust your power saving settings to "Never" shut off hard drives. I did not realize that mine was set to shut off on 20 minutes and I can tell you from frustrating experience that it caused a lot of problems. I though I was well on my way to formatting and re-installing my OS, but after changing that setting my PC is running like it was the day I built it.

Some of the problems I was having;

System lockups
    Extremely long load times for right click menus
    BSOD's
    Long load times of apps and documents

Since changing my settings I have not had a single one of these occurrences.
  5. Another little-known, but troublesome default setting exposed. Thanks rocknblogger!
  6. Your very welcome. I'm new to these forums and I joined precisely because of the great info I've found here. Just trying to pay it forward :)
  7. Well this is good to know. Since I remember my buddy talking about it just a few weeks ago when he build his new system. I just bought some of those WD 500GB Black. I was about to go exchange them out. Glad I shouldn't have to.
  8. bdestroyer8418 said:
    Well this is good to know. Since I remember my buddy talking about it just a few weeks ago when he build his new system. I just bought some of those WD 500GB Black. I was about to go exchange them out. Glad I shouldn't have to.

Just remember that you can't run them in RAID if you decide you want to do that at a later date.
  9. Rocknblogger said:
    Thanks for the reply guys. I did some more digging and I confirmed my fears. Here's a heads up for anyone with a WD Black drive. If you're using Win7 make sure that you adjust your power saving settings to "Never" shut off hard drives. I did not realize that mine was set to shut off on 20 minutes and I can tell you from frustrating experience that it caused a lot of problems. I though I was well on my way to formatting and re-installing my OS, but after changing that setting my PC is running like it was the day I built it.

Some of the problems I was having;

System lockups
    Extremely long load times for right click menus
    BSOD's
    Long load times of apps and documents

Since changing my settings I have not had a single one of these occurrences.

I'm here to thank you for your suggestion I never thought windows set hdd spin down in 20 mins by default especially on desktop...
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital NAS / RAID Storage