9800GT Temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchup_rulez

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hi, I have 2 9800GT's in SLI and want to overclock them. What would be a safe temperature for my cards to be at? (By safe I mean last as long as they would normally ie. 2 years)

Thanks guys.

P.S I'm going ot be using rivatuner - is that alright? Will it overclock both cards automatically?

Ketchup_rulez

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I'm a bit confused. I've managed to clock the card at 700MHz Core, 1728 Shaders and 2000 effective memory. However, my temps are reading what they were when I first got the cards; 52C. I think this is the idle temp. Is this possible though? I was expecting a large rise in temperature for the speeds I've overclocked; is the temperature reading wrong?

Thanks

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
it all depends on what you set your fan speed to. if you have a high fan speed you can keep your temp down alot even if you oc. i had the SLI 9800GT setup for about 3 weeks but i decided that at 14x9 res, i wasnt benefiting from SLI so i got a great, fast single card solution with the new GTX 260 core 216. but just adjust your fan speed and keep your temps down if you feel the need. i ran my two 9800GT at 675 MHz core and 950 MHz (1900 effective) with a 45% fan speed and temps never went above 62C. yes riva tuner oc both cards if you have SLI enabled before you change clock speeds. so have SLI on before opening riva tuner.

Ketchup_rulez

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks xxcoop42xx! I've got my fan control on auto so I think that adjusts the fan as the computer sees fit. Is that OK.
EDIT: I have the same computer as you but I got the Q9450 and dual 9800GTs (obviously!) and I got a 20" monitor.

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
well i consider 79C to be high. also i find that setting the fan temp is better then using auto because auto usually waits till the card is actually hotter than 79C to change the fan speed. i would set it to at least 50-55% and see if the fan you can stand the fan noise ( not that it will be super loud) but some people leave their fans low because of noise but then if the card runs real hot all the time then they kill the card faster. so try 50-55% on fans then go play a game for about 20 minutes then check temps. i dont recommend temps going above 65C which is 150F on each card. so stay at or below 65C and you should be good.

the 630i is awesome isnt it? i had the 100% fan problem you might have heard about but a bios flash of the I/O board fixed that. if you ever have that problem let me know i have a way to fix it.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Benchmark mode has a short runtime. It may not be enough for the card to fully heat up yet. Use Stress mode instead, let it run for at least 10 minutes.

79C is relatively high, but still safe.

Ketchup_rulez

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Ok: with the fan on auto and the stress mode running for 10 minutes I'm hitting 85C. IS this ok? Will I be reaching these temps whilst playing normal games?
P.S The auto fan control still only has the fan at around 60% so it obviously doesn't think there's any danger...

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Typical games don't stress the gpu fully, so it won't run as high. Ideally, you should increase fan speed, but it's okay to leave as it is.

euge963

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have a 9800GT from EVGA. If you go here http://www.evga.com/precision/ you can get an awesome utility that is probably more accurate than rivatuner. It lets you overclock easily and also set your fan speed. It can show things like fps and temp in-game or on your logitech keyboard lcd display if you would like. I keep my fan speed at 100% all the time and have it start windows that way.

IDLE: 36
LOAD: 62

This is all with a single slot card. I used to think I should get an aftermarket cooler but this one actually kicks ass!

BTW, folding @ home is a great concept and I just tried the GPU version. It puts the card under full load and ran for about an hour to complete a work unit. Good way to see max temps under load.

I do not overclock but I am thinking about doing it.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I have been running stress tests with my 9800GT EE and if I dont have the fan turned up to like 55C when idle my temps get to like 60º when idle and like 70 under stress, when I run furmark burn in my temps get up to like 75 which scares me and I have to run the fan at 100% to keep them stable at 70-72C is this safe? the fan is so loud, i wish to keep the fan running at like 55%, it will run like 68C in crysis, is this okay?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.