Sign in with
Your question

Windows clipboard bug

Last response: in Windows XP
January 24, 2011 1:50:08 AM

Hello,

I have a tool written by someone in MS Access to produce reports (database to Excel file). Problem is, when it is running, I am able to see the Clipboard's contents when I do copy-paste routines on other apps. I mean doesn't Clipboard know how to paste which data comes from which application? When I paste in Notepad for instance, I get the contents of Access which I do not want.

More about : windows clipboard bug

January 24, 2011 3:49:57 AM

There is only one clipboard. Welcome to the world of FIFO buffers. FIFO="First In, First Out."

The Windows clipboard is not a dedicated function. You cannot choose between multiple clipboards, there is only one. Some applications will pile up the clipboard contents, and let you choose from a history of clipboard entries from the recent past, perhaps as many as the last 10 additions to it because a "Paste" operation does not necessarily delete the clipboard contents all the time. It depends on the application if the clipboard is emptied at paste or not, usually it is not purged at time of Paste. Your problem is something you'll have to live with using the Windows clipboard.

Adobe Systems uses a variant of the clipboard to pass data between it's many programs without ever using the Windows clipboard, and this I see as superior programming on their part. The clipboard is available for use in their programs, but they don't use it, only you do.

If you want to monitor the clipboard, use the clipboard viewer. Here's how....

1. Right-click your desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
2. In the location field, type %windir%\system32\clipbrd.exe
3. Click Next.
4. Click Finish.

Now you can easily run the clipboard viewer and see what you'll get when you click "Paste" or you can manually empty the clipboard here.

m
l
January 29, 2011 4:22:54 AM

tigsounds said:
1. Right-click your desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
2. In the location field, type %windir%\system32\clipbrd.exe
3. Click Next.
4. Click Finish.

Also you can try a new portable program for viewing clipboard contents:
http://www.freeclipboardviewer.com/
m
l
!